• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce wheel cylinder rebuild.. i thought

g2065g

I got my deuce a couple of weeks ago. I thought the wheel cylinder needed rebuilt as there were no brakes and it looked like a leak on one of the rims where you would expect for a leaking cylinder. After a few hours to get it all apart(first time) it looks like the wheel cylinder is fine. I pulled the outer flange/axle, got the hub/drum off and had a look. There was gear oil mixed with the grease. It looks like the housing had gear oil leaking onto it also. So I assume both seals are bad. I bought them so will replace them regardless. The bearings look OK to me. There is a small amount of surface rust on the inner part of the inner bearing. Otherwise they really look good to me but I am not an expert on wheel bearings. The drum/hub are filthy and I will be cleaning them up and measuring the drum.

Pics & questions.

photo 2.jpgPhoto078.jpgPhoto077.jpgPhoto080.jpgPhoto081.jpgPhoto082.jpgPhoto083.jpgPhoto084.jpgphoto 1.jpgPhoto079.jpg

Do I need to clean all of the gear oil out of the outer bearing or is most of it out of there ok? I wiped them down real good but there is still a bit in them. I thought about soaking in gas or something. Suggestions?

Do I need a special tool to seat the inner seal against the housing or will a bit of grease and pushing it on with the bearing work?

I haven't take them(hub/drum) apart and figure I probably should just to get them both clean. Thoughts / suggestions?

The pads look like they are in good shape. They were coated in a good amount of gear oil. Can I reuse them? Can they be cleaned enough by soaking them in something(gas or some other solvent)? Or should they be replaced?

Any tips, tricks or suggestions i.e. be sure to check this before reassembly, are appreciated. I will look in the TMs(and search other posts) for torque specs for reassembly but if anyone wants to post them feel free.

I am sure I forgot a question or three that I planned on asking here but this should do for now.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OPCOM has a detailed writeup on working on the deuce axels - While it's on here somewhere, it may be easier to find on his 'www.bunkerofdoom.com' site. The usual cause of oil getting into the hubs is not inserting the cork in the cutout. Easiest tool to seat the inner seal is a four inch schedule 40 wye pipe and a block of wood (2 x 4) to bang on. First the seal, then the pipe to make sure it's square, then the block of wood to tap on till the whole thing is seated.

g2065g

I don't see the small cork in the replacements I bought. It is there on the axle but looks degraded. Quickly reading the bunkerofdoom site it looks like that little cork piece is important to get right.

Last edited:

welldigger

OPCOM has a detailed writeup on working on the deuce axels - While it's on here somewhere, it may be easier to find on his 'www.bunkerofdoom.com' site. The usual cause of oil getting into the hubs is not inserting the cork in the cutout. Easiest tool to seat the inner seal is a four inch schedule 40 wye pipe and a block of wood (2 x 4) to bang on. First the seal, then the pipe to make sure it's square, then the block of wood to tap on till the whole thing is seated.
The inner seal can be drove in by a 3 inch coupling and a length of pipe. NOT 4 INCH. In fact I glued a cap on also and just hit the cap with my 3lb hammer.

Clean your bearings by dousing them in brake cleaner. Same thing with your brake shoes.

As to the keyway slot. I have discovered the cork to be almost useless. I just fill the keyway slot with rtv. The gray color (Honda bond if you wanna go crazy) is my favorite. I think its called ritestuff.

Last edited:

g2065g

The inner seal can be drove in by a 3 inch coupling and a length of pipe. NOT 4 INCH. In fact I glued a cap on also and just hit the cap with my 3lb hammer.

Clean your bearings by dousing them in brake cleaner. Same thing with your brake shoes.

As to the keyway slot. I have discovered the cork to be almost useless. I just fill the keyway slot with rtv. The gray color (Honda bond if you wanna go crazy) is my favorite. I think its called ritestuff.
I used a pipe with a cap and a floor flange(forget size) on my f350. I don't think that was 3" but I figured something along those lines would work. It came off pretty easy.

Do you just fill the whole keyway slot and level it off? I don't want to wait around for a week for some cork or rubber gaskets so I will probably go that route.

Thanks for the input.

Edit: Nevermind. This pic on bunkerofdoom shows it nicely.

hubdrawing.jpg

Last edited:

welldigger

When you put everything back together you slip the outer bearing in. Then squirt some rtv under the bearing in the slot. Then slip on the outer seal. Squirt some more rtv in the slot and thread on the first nut. Then slip on the retainer ring. Then a bit more rtv and the last nut.

g2065g

Thanks welldigger. First time doing this so I appreciate the tips. Once it warms up a bit I plan on checking the other wheels. I really want to get this fixed and get the brakes bled(hopefully that goes smooth and nothing needs rebuilt) and get it on the road by the end of the year. Waiting on my fuel line also which should be here Monday.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks