• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Wheels?

Scuffy

Hi all! I've asked this over on a couple Jeep forums with no such luck so I'll submit my cannon fodder here! ;-)

I've got a 73 CJ5 that I am rebuilding from the ground up. Alot of mod and custom fab work going into it. It's got a DD 3-53 out of a Gama Goat and all kinds of other goodies. I am going to stretch the tub to Scrambler length. But I digress...

I plan on having decent sized tires on my "Detroit Lady" as I call her. And browsing the auction site I've come across several guys selling Deuce tires on rims at fairly decent prices- some very close by. My question is how will these fair on a Jeep with FULL WIDTH D60s as apposed to the narrow track axles? Recentering is an obvious must and would pose no problems. I'm just curious as to the backspacing and if I'd have any major rubbing issues. And if inverted would I end up with the wheels hanging horribly outside of comfortable working space from the tub?

I realize that these tires are not necessarily ideal for freeway speeds or even the general use one might put a Jeep through but this will be a Jeep of mixed use...

I am building initially for display at SEMA this year. It will be at a booth for a local lighting company who wants to get into off road vehicle lighting. I was going to do it up in a homage to WW2 bombers- a brushed aluminum look with airbrushed rivets and panel lines as well as a bit of nose art! My "Detroit Lady". I guess what I'm trying to say is that military tires such as this would not necessarily look out of place, it'd fit right in with the theme.

So any ideas? Would getting these wheels in almost new condition and at a decent price be worthwhile if I recentered them? I'm looking for something in the 40" range and these would fit the bill!! Would they rub or stick out too far?

Thanks for any and all of your help!!

And if this doesn't seem like a plausible idea.. Does anyone know of something in this size range that I can get surplus or cheap enough to throw on in order to work out the bugs while I'm finishing up things? Super singles? I know they are in the 40"- 42" range. I'll go with swampers in the future if I can't find anything but that will be at least 2 months out. If I could find something as a rolling place saver it'd even be great.

Last edited:

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to mess with split rims and all. No reason it could not be made to work. What about turning/steering and interference?

Scuffy

If you want to mess with split rims and all. No reason it could not be made to work. What about turning/steering and interference?

Actually that was my main concern! :oops: I neglected to specify when I mentioned rubbing! I don't mind doing the work but I'm not sure about the rims and how they are set as far as backspacing. How deep are the standard rims??

And would you or anyone know which tires these might be?? They are quite beefy!
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attach...e-picture-thread-if-not-here-post-em-bob1.jpg

Actually that was my main concern! :oops: I neglected to specify when I mentioned rubbing! I don't mind doing the work but I'm not sure about the rims and how they are set as far as backspacing. How deep are the standard rims??

And would you or anyone know which tires these might be?? They are quite beefy!
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachments/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/11790d1239114753-do-we-have-official-bobbed-deuce-picture-thread-if-not-here-post-em-bob1.jpg

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce-modification-hot-rodding/4696-diablo-build-update-pics.html

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........................Recentering is an obvious must and would pose no problems.....
Recentering stock Deuce wheels (welded or riveted style) is NOT so easy! But, you could just flip the center disc to reduce backspace by little over 5". (see diagram below)

I'm just curious as to the backspacing and if I'd have any major rubbing issues
Std. backspace of these wheels is 10.5". If a full width D60" has lets say 62" betw. wheel mounting surfaces, you would end with only about 40" between tire sidewalls, assuming you choose the std. 9.00-20 Mil. tires..... or approx. 82" if dished out....

G.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks