• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce winch cable question

panzerjunky

Hello Gents
I am doing a little repaint ? restro my Deuce and want to remove the winch chain and hook so I can sandblast and paint.
My question is if I remove the nut where the cable connects at the shackle to chain connection nothing will grenade apart will it ? I am understanding there is a little wedge in the shackle part if that should fall out I can just put it back in and tighten up the nut right?
Thanks Jerry

rwoods

You'll be fine. Putting it back together on a fresh cut can be a little trying. I'm taking a short vacation from my efforts to assemble a 5 ton. Ron

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't take it apart to paint if I were you. You can sandblast and paint it with it all together. They are a pain to deal with.

Jake0147

I am understanding there is a little wedge in the shackle part if that should fall out I can just put it back in and tighten up the nut right?
In theory, yes that is exactly how it works. Of course the difference between "in theory" and "in practice" is that in theory they would both be the same. The difference sometimes nill, and sometimes very significant. Any time wire rope is involved, lean towards the "very significant" side of things. These fittings are a bear to work with. IMHO, you'd be better off to tape the first bit of rope to keep the blast media out of it, and leave the termination in place to clean it. The chain can easily be removed at the bolt as Cranetruck suggested.

But yes, if you are game... In theory that's how they come apart, the nut at the bottom unscrews, and there's a wedge that locks the cable in place.

rwoods

I wouldn't take it apart to paint if I were you. You can sandblast and paint it with it all together. They are a pain to deal with.
:ditto:

"These fittings are a bear to work with. IMHO, you'd be better off to tape the first bit of rope to keep the blast media out of it, and leave the termination in place to clean it. The chain can easily be removed at the bolt as Cranetruck suggested."
:ditto:

emr

I did a frame off all but the cab itself and did a complete sand blast and repaint but never saw a need to remove the winch chain, To me it is the kinda thing that is a factory attachment that should just stay that way, thats my 2 cents, leave it on , very good advise on that above, ;-)

AtomicHillbilly

How hard is it to re-terminate the cable? The truck I just bought has a winch, but the hook/chain were separate. I plan on cutting the first few feet of rusty cable off (angle grinder??) re-greasing, and re-attaching the hook and chain assembly. What is the proper name for the small wedge and lock nut? Should I look at one of the surplus stores, or would you recommend buying a connector from a website like the one linked in an earlier post? I thought a 'clevis' was a shackle with a screw crossbar (in reference to Area52's post above).

Thanks,

Jairus

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought a 'clevis' was a shackle with a screw crossbar (in reference to Area52's post above).

Thanks,

Jairus
My Grandad used to tell me "a shackle is used in rigging and a clevis was the same thing but a clevis had horse sh!t on it. What he was trying to say was a clevis is what you use to attach horse drawn implements to the horse ( he was an old farmer and rigger and hated when people called a shackle a clevis).

I have no idea if he was right but I'm into rigging also and you're considered a novice if you refer to a clevis in rigging (your co-workers will make fun of you).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks