• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce winch overhaul/function??

tacoma

Hey everybody, howdy do

I'm looking for some manuals, diagrams, whatever, for a deuce winch. I just got one cheap, and need to go through it.

Anyone have any helpful links, sources, information, etc??? Search is pretty useless for this particular thing.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look in the photo section. There is a parts explosion and some seal/bearing numbers there.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is, but it's not THE Winch rebuild TM...... The winch rebuild TM was published in 1958, and not availible anymore.... But Im still on the hunt for it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So did anyone ever locate the winch rebuild TM? And perhaps upload it? :D

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The TM is 3 inches thick, and 98% of it doesnt apply to the m35 winch. I'll photocopy the needed info out, but I dont know how to scan and upload it..... Anyone got any ideas?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-3830-206-34P is in th TM section and is only a parts manual. I gave my 8617 to Mark so I no longer have that. Winch rebuilds are pretty straigh forward, just open it up and see what you have. Since it's such a low speed item, the clearances aren't as much as an issue.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got three of them I need to look into. All have been sitting for a long time out in the weather and won't spin freely by hand. I've been looking for a manual myself with no luck. I may just do like Kenny said and just jump in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
e22, send the copy to me via snail mail, I will handle it.
Is this a joke Mike? LOL. It will be a few years. Seriously, the manual is bound, might take som doing to scan it without damaging it. What about the video of my wrecker, it has been 2 years.

mangus580

Recovry4x4 said:
e22, send the copy to me via snail mail, I will handle it.
Is this a joke Mike? LOL. It will be a few years. Seriously, the manual is bound, might take som doing to scan it without damaging it. What about the video of my wrecker, it has been 2 years.
aua

I had the impression he was going to photocopy the relevant pages.... photocopies are VERY easy for me to scan.... unlike bound double sided (which can be done, just takes alot more time)

I will ge the vid done, I promise!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
taking the winch apart is not for the first time mechanic. very easy to break things as parts of it will not want to come apart.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The winch is pretty easy to get apart and back together... I replaced the seals on mine no problem. redoing the seals gives you a very good idea of how the winch works..

rdixiemiller

As far as fixing wallowed out holes in winch input shafts.....
Find a piece of steel brake line tubing that will accept the winch shear pin. Now, drill the hole out in the winch shaft to a couple of thousandths less than the tubing. Put the tubing in the freezer for a couple of hours. Heat up the shaft with a propane torch until it is just a little too hot to touch. Take the frozen piece of tubing and quickly tap it in place. Dress down the ends of the tubing with a file. Run a 9/32" drill bit through the tubing to remove any burrs.
This method works on lots of different things with wallowed out holes. No rude comments please!