• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce, Winch, Tree and Time

Rattlehead

Cool! I have a dying cedar tree that needs to come down this year and was just thinking of using one of the trucks to do it instead of a saw. Do you think it was necessary to tie off the back of the truck?

mangus580

Re: RE: Deuce, Winch, Tree and Time

Rattlehead said:
Cool! I have a dying cedar tree that needs to come down this year and was just thinking of using one of the trucks to do it instead of a saw. Do you think it was necessary to tie off the back of the truck?
Depends on how big the tree is... and how high up you hook.

I have pulled down a few dozen trees with mine. All using an ext ladder to get the chain as high as possible. My favorite method of holding the deuce in place, was pulling the front bumper up to another tree, on the end of a frame rail. On the larger trees (2' diameter) we undercut the roots on the opposite side with my dozer.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did need to tie off. Even with a 1 part line, the winch will drag the truck with me standing on the brakes. The 2 part line would drag it worse. The last tree I did was half again bigger and I needed a 3 part line for that one. Remember the tractor only weights 12,560#. Gimp, I'm saving that seat for you! LOL

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be in NC for a family reunion most of July. Sorry, another year, no Haspin. I'll see all you guys in Feb at the FL Rally

rizzo

RE: pic 007

you have the shackles on wrong in this pic. The safest way to use them is to connect the load to the pin and bow. you probably turned them before use, but I wanted to point it out to anyone who viewed the pic and was not sure of the correct way.

cool pics

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, I asure you, they will surprise you. They stand up to 140 MPH for the most part. I thought it would be easier doing it in sand but its clay after about 6 inches. I did tug on it a few times with the M108 but it didn't budge.