• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Windshield frames

I am in the market for some new windshields. I was wondering what a blasted, and painted windshield frame for a deuce is worth. one with new glass, outer seal and all the arms and brackets. I know a new one without the lock or locking arms is around 160. is 180 too much to ask for one with everything except the bolts that hold it to the truck?? thanks for any and all info.

kaiser2help

I am new to this. However, Have seen this topic before. My experience has told me" BOHICA" when it comes to this one, if you know what I mean. I have heard that some of the popular distributors that are commonly used carry import knock- off that are exact reproduction. Great debate over this one. But I have heard from most that they are a nice,clean, and less than OEM repair. I think I saw them for about 229.00$ complete for one side. Good luck. Keepem-Rolling.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think 160 for a used window is crazy. Look around you can find used ones alot cheaper. I paid 50 for 2 last year. New ones are 150-170 depending on where you look. The support brackets are very common and not really valuable.

joec

You can get new around 155-185 a piece with glass and weatherstriping on already. Mike from od iron has some. Lots of people on here with them. Look at the sponsors on the top of the page.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone really wanted to make a nice piece, the lower frame (U shaped piece) in stainless would be a wonderful addition. They all will rot eventually.

halftrack

I find that when you use silicon (black type for color- looks like rubber) instead of using the rubber strips that sit between the frame and glass, it does a excellent job of stopping the water from seeping in between the glass and window frame.

devilman96

I find that when you use silicon (black type for color- looks like rubber) instead of using the rubber strips that sit between the frame and glass, it does a excellent job of stopping the water from seeping in between the glass and window frame.
I suggest to everyone to cut the gasket back and seal up the glass to frame area as it does make a huge difference in the life span. However be careful what you use to do this. "Silicone" or types of it will draw moisture under it when used on glass and metal combinations causing more rust than the plane ole gasket does... Make sure you use a product designed for automotive windshield usage and you will greatly extend the service life of the parts! (same goes for window frames)

halftrack

devilman96 said:
I suggest to everyone to cut the gasket back and seal up the glass to frame area as it does make a huge difference in the life span. However be careful what you use to do this. "Silicone" or types of it will draw moisture under it when used on glass and metal combinations causing more rust than the plane ole gasket does... Make sure you use a product designed for automotive windshield usage and you will greatly extend the service life of the parts! (same goes for window frames)
Good point! I should of specified automotive glas type silicone.

Blake

caulk

polyurethane black caulk is what you need. It dries hard like rubber but is still pliable. You can get it at home depot/lowes in their caulk department near the roof flashing caulk.

maxim

These frames were badly rusted and looked terrible. Getting them apart was a real chore having to drill out the screws. But I being a frugal person (read that tightwad) I did get them apart. But the small 'L' tabs were either so stuck or just missing from rust so I have not come up with a solution to re-assemble. The key was time. I was fairly pleased with how they cleaned up but then I do not have immediate access to a yard full of frames. Buying frames, or complete frames and have them shipped may be the easier and efficent solution. But nothing is lost in a attempt to ressurect the old one.

Attachments

Since we are on the subject... where can i get the thin shim or gasket the goes from the frame to the glass?? not the outside of the frame to the truck. thanks for any info.