• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce winter storage

Engine5

What is the best way to prepare a deuce for winter till summer storage? I wont be able to drive my trucks for 8 to 10 months after the first week of November and I was wondering how I should prep them for the storage. It will be bad enough to look at them through my windows knowing I cant drive them, but I dont want them to get damaged over the time they sit.

AaronW

I think these trucks like to be run and driven. Can you have someone start 'em up/run up to temp/run for 5-10 miles a week?(not sure the reason you can't drive 'em)

I seem to have fewer issues with rigs that get use all the time.

The military must have a storage protocal in the TM's. I'll have to look!

Engine5

I can get someone to start them, but not drive them. By Jan I should be able to go out and start them. If there is no snow or ice on the ground. I am getting 4 pins put into my shoulder and 1 maybe 2 in my arm. If I take a digger on ice I am screwed.

Westex

Engine5:

I would fill the fuel tanks to the brim (prevents condensation); and then I would seek out another site member to come over and crank 'em over up to operating temp, or better yet drive them. Wish I was up there to help you, but you're a Looong way from me in Texas.

oldshep

I run mine at
least 15-20 minutes two times a month or so in the winter. i figure it keeps it limber. i also keep plenty of diesel kleen in the fuel.

Westex

Diesel Kleen is good. From some conversations I had over this past weekend, marvel mystery oil is also good; leaves a slight residue on the exhaust valves which carbon cannot adhere to. Anybody?

O.D. Fever

That all sounds like good advise. It should not be too hard to con some of your friends into driving your trucks... Never had a problem with my friends playing with my stuff...They like it!!!
P.S. don't let them go to far!! ( you can go for the ride.)

AaronW

E5, Stay in outta the cold and ice! I hope your shoulder heals fast.

How about installing a block heater and keeping it at a constant temp to keep away moisture. Just an idea. Any drawbacks guys?

GoHot229

I can get someone to start them, but not drive them. By Jan I should be able to go out and start them. If there is no snow or ice on the ground. I am getting 4 pins put into my shoulder and 1 maybe 2 in my arm. If I take a digger on ice I am screwed.
Sounds like your SCREWED anyway.....quite litterally, Bummer the medical damage, you going to come out ok? My Cousin had some stuff done with his neck with pins and stuff another friend a plate in his ankle.....both were good to go (heal-wise) in about 4 months, not that there wasn't the pain......

Engine5

AaronW,
Good idea. I didnt think of that. That will go on my list for the weekend.

GoHot229,
Pinned is more like it. I got the screws in the neck as well C3 through C5 vertabre are fused with plates and screws (long story). Doc said I would never get back on the FD after that. 6 months to the day of surgery I was dragging firefighters out of a high school for RIT training.
But the Doc that did my shoulder in March said I would never have a problem again with that shoulder. He "fixed" 1 tear, but missed 2 others for starters one is a full thickness tear. Then the pin he put in, he put under 1 of the 4 bicep tendons, so that pin is cutting into the tendon. So now I have to get a tenodesis as well at the same time. That is when they sever the tendon and relocate it lower on the arm bone.

Its gonna be a long recovery. According to the Doc if I can put my stubborness aside then I can expect to heal close to 90%. But as he said there are no guarentees after going in a second time. I figure that if I increase my ice cream intake all the extra vitamin D will help out.:-D