• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce wiper and primary spin on fuel filter upgrade

sprucemt

beaubeau said:
Why would anyone want to replace original P- filter assm. and spend that kind of money?? I have just replaced original Alternator with a Delco Remy Commercial Alt"COST $100.00." and one thing I had to do was to move Primary filter assembly back about 6ins. This put the unit right out in the open and makes it more accessible for changing the filter. Just remove 2 bolts and the copper lines will FLEX enough to move the assm. back 6-8ins. Phil
I would think that it would be a personal choice.

jim-m35a2

bigmike said:
I've got the Saturn wiper upgrade. I think it's a piece of S#@T. I'm mostly unhappy with the crappy made knurled knobs. The set screw strips too easily and gets loose. Also, the wipers mount too close to the window frame.

I'm going to make a modified version out of SST. I'll post pics and dims in a week or so.
Use option #3 for the wiper upgrade kit from Saturn. Just drill a hole in the end of the arm, pop the knurls out of the the stock wipers and use the stock nuts to attach them to the wiper shafts. You can put the wipers back to military specs for future use if you want. The instructions for the Saturn Wiper Upgrade kits suck....... I got two kits from Jay and one of the pages was blank. I got the Windshied Washer Kit from Saturn and no instructions were included with the kit. I emailed Jay for the instructions to install the kit but never got an answer.
________
Cheap Ai Tornado Airsoft Grenade Hand

Attachments

Last edited:
I had the same problem. Used option 2 in the instructions, and cut off the wiper shaft to use the knurled knobs. Filed flats on the shaft for the setscews. I was very careful not to overtighten the tiny setscrews. The knob would work loose on the shaft, and I would find the setscrews loose. Tightened them a little more, and after 2 or 3 times, the result was as shown in the picture. The knob was stretching in service, causing the screws to come loose. This happened on both sides. I took the knob to work and tested it on the Rockwell C hardness tester - it was so soft it would'nt read on the scale.

I called Saturn - they said they never heard of this before, but to their credit send me a complete new kit. They suggested using JB weld between the shaft and knob. I didn't use JB, but haven't used the wipers since except at inspection time.

Some rainy Saturday, I'll dust off the lathe and make some new wiper shafts since I ruined mine by cutting the ends off. But I haven't fiigured out how to make the tapered knurl at the end. I'd still install the Saturn kit, but avoid installation option 2.
The napa kit comes with a new nut that will thread to the existing wiper shaft thread, although the new kit comes with arms that will not go over the nut and knurled shaft. I just took mine back to napa and showed them the stupidity of it. WHen you stack the knurled component and the nut that holds it on, it is deeper than the wiper are thus keeping it from snapping onto the knurled component. Also, the new end to the Napa ones DO NOT fit ANY standard replacement Blade...Neither Napa or myself would find the blad to match the arm as it is sold these days...The attachment piece is too narrow and thin to fit the standard appllication

Last edited:
I have had the Anco wiper parts on my truck since Feb 2008 and have had no problems with them loosening up. No cutting of the shaft either. The knob is held on by a small nut. No shaft modification and is completely reversible back to the original configuration.

As to the filter base, I wonder if the original author of the tech article had the flow correctly. He cautioned in the article to watch the flow direction.
The Napa component had changed, if you buy it, open the box, stack the knurled comonent and the nut and make sure it will fit in the arm and snap in. The ones I just took back to Napa did not work. Also, the new end to the Napa ones DO NOT fit ANY standard replacement Blade...Neither Napa or myself would find the blade to match the arm as it is sold these days...The attachment piece is too narrow and thin to fit the standard appllication.

Last edited:

dabtl

The simplest, easiest and cleanest job to upgrade the primary fuel filter is the single piece adapter by John Tennis. Uses the original base with the adapter and spin on filter. 20 minute job.
The NAPA cost is about $70 compared to the delivered price from jatonka of $120.

I rather suspect the cost of getting the base and filter from NAPA, finding the metal to bend, heating the metal, drilling the holes in the metal, drilling the holes in the frame and finally hooking it up would exceed jatonka's price substantially. It probably takes a couple of hours at a minimum to install the NAPA kit.

So, why would anyone bother with the NAPA kit, unless they want to tinker more, much more, than I do?

bottleworks

For those who are complaining about cost.... Go to a junk yard and buy the primary filter housing from a truck with a Detroit Series 50 or 60. The filter housing shouldn't cost more then $15 and the Wix 33418 filter fits it. The housing's Detroit part number: 5148023 Might be able to get it on eBay for the same cost.

WIPERS:

Ordered the universal kit from Carquest....Same issue as the Current Napa ones. The splined piece with the nut it comes with is too tall for the wiper arm to slide over and snap as it is designed to.aua.

Pretty sad that when you buy an item, it wont even work with itself. They both must use the same supplier.

Hammer

The 60-751 kit has the correct end attachment that fits the blades correctly. But it doesn't have the correct fitting for the shaft...
I got the 750 kit, then made the end fittings wider (welded on extra, then grind flat).

AKJEEP

I too had to go with that wiper setup until I could lay hands on an original wiper arm and blade.
I work for NAPA, so I spend a lotta time trying to see if there was a better way to go on the wiper (My duece was missing one arm when I got it)
that is as good as it gets, and it works so long as you're careful installing it and nothing "real-world" happens, such as a stick catching it on the trail or the wiper freezing to the glass....
I'm checking into fitting another air-operated wiper motor from some other application on there - found some with much nicer 'knobs' for the arms to mount to.....just nothing that'll bolt directly to the windshild frame (yet)......

At this point, I modified the OE arms to fit a standard blade but am not happy with the results as a permanent fix. I wont post my redneck fix.

The napa and carquest generic kits have a 5MM attachemnt for the blades. Not what is normally stocked at common places, ;but you can order them pretty quick. I am still thinking about getting the napa kit (or carquest one) and drilling a hole in them to attach it as noted in an earlier post.

So far I am not too happy with the available choices. I still think I might be able to come up with a better solution somhow...Not ready to thow in the towl just yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks