• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce with 5ton winch

rustystud

Has anyone installed the 5ton winch into a Deuce ? I have looked at the posts and all agree it would be difficult, but has anyone actually done it ? If so do you have pictures of the install ? I have the opportunity to buy a 5ton winch. Out here in the Wild NorthWest deuce winches are rare and expensive, unlike you lucky ba$tard$ in the East Coast area where every barn and empty building has a deuce winch just sitting there waiting to be taken and used. So when this chance to buy one comes by I'm seriously considering it .
Thanks.

P.S. Yes I know it's heavy, but adding extra leafs to the spring pack should help with that. I'm sure the Rockwells can take the extra weight. I also have looked at "MassM35A2's " truck and "Spicergear's " truck and install. Both leave much desired in the "picture how to" category .

Last edited:

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear it is so hard to find deuce winch kits where you are. That is a definite problem. The 5 ton winch however is really over-kill for the truck. By using a snatch block on the deuce 10,000 pound winch you can move more than the weight of the truck. The 10,000 pounds is a conservative rating in my experience. The 1/2" cable on the deuce winch is much easier to handle than the 5/8 on the 5 ton. Part of this depends on what you consider your time and the materials needed to do it are worth as opposed to a bolt-on at a higher initial price. In my experience an idea can look good but then it gets really complicated and more costly than anticipated at a time when it is too late to stop, so continue to study what others have done carefully before committing. If you do go with the 5 ton, go all the way and get one like on the wreckers with the level wind. It is priceless, a real time and cable saver!
Regards, and good luck! Martin Sacks

wilber

I've got two M35-A2's with five ton winches. I took the rollers off the winches. I built the bumper extensions out of some short pieces of H-pile I cut. The only problem is a clearance problem with the winch driveshaft. It clears, but just barely. Otherwise it fits fine. I'll try to remember to take some pictures of what I have. I don't have any install picts. I also made the PTO shift apparatus using a stock one as the pattern. The build and installation of each took a long weekend. They aren't pretty, but they are stout.

rustystud

I've got two M35-A2's with five ton winches. I took the rollers off the winches. I built the bumper extensions out of some short pieces of H-pile I cut. The only problem is a clearance problem with the winch driveshaft. It clears, but just barely. Otherwise it fits fine. I'll try to remember to take some pictures of what I have. I don't have any install picts. I also made the PTO shift apparatus using a stock one as the pattern. The build and installation of each took a long weekend. They aren't pretty, but they are stout.
Thanks for responding. Any close-up pictures would be great. Especially around the frame, how you have it attached. I have some frame from a older M35 I scrapped out, should come in handy.

rustystud

Sorry to hear it is so hard to find deuce winch kits where you are. That is a definite problem. The 5 ton winch however is really over-kill for the truck. By using a snatch block on the deuce 10,000 pound winch you can move more than the weight of the truck. The 10,000 pounds is a conservative rating in my experience. The 1/2" cable on the deuce winch is much easier to handle than the 5/8 on the 5 ton. Part of this depends on what you consider your time and the materials needed to do it are worth as opposed to a bolt-on at a higher initial price. In my experience an idea can look good but then it gets really complicated and more costly than anticipated at a time when it is too late to stop, so continue to study what others have done carefully before committing. If you do go with the 5 ton, go all the way and get one like on the wreckers with the level wind. It is priceless, a real time and cable saver!
Regards, and good luck! Martin Sacks
I've been looking for over 3 years now, and I don't feel like paying over $2000.00 for a winch. I only payed $2400.00 for the whole truck ! I know there are some for sell on the east coast, but the freight would be a killer !

I'm with you rusty..... I'm going the electric route though. Smaller lighter more compact. I'm hoping to sink a front and rear into the frame and the only thing you'll see will be fair leads.

rustystud

I'm with you rusty..... I'm going the electric route though. Smaller lighter more compact. I'm hoping to sink a front and rear into the frame and the only thing you'll see will be fair leads.
I thought about an electric unit. They make some pretty nice ones. Though I really like hydraulics. Run them all day long without worrying about letting out the smoke ! You know once you let out the smoke in an electric motor it costs a lot to put it back in again !