• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce with 6v92T Detroit and transmission.....????

Ryan123

I used to drive a pump truck in the oilfield a ten speed is easy and it's actually good for a 2 stroke you can keep the rpms up without to much jump between gears bogging you out

rustystud

Ryan123, what are the laws like there in Colorado about swapping in engines ? Do they require you to meet EPA standards ? Here in Washington we are required to meet EPA standards. Since the 2 stroke Detroits do not meet EPA standards you would not get it licensed here. I hope Colorado is different.

welldigger

I drive a small (23,000 pound) drilling rig. It has a 6 speed eaton and I hate driving it in town. Thankfully thats only once a week. I really wish it was an auto. Heck I wish my deuce was an auto but I rufuse to get an a3. I only like sticks in sports cars.

I see your point on the 10 speed though. I'm not trying to deter you. Just throwing out other ideas. I think the whole concept is awesome. I have always thought a lly duramax with the allison 1000 would be awesome in a bobber. You could even retain the odb 2 to aid in repairs. I have researched it a bit in case I win the lottery lol.

welldigger

Ryan123, what are the laws like there in Colorado about swapping in engines ? Do they require you to meet EPA standards ? Here in Washington we are required to meet EPA standards. Since the 2 stroke Detroits do not meet EPA standards you would not get it licensed here. I hope Colorado is different.
Most states aren't that picky on epa regs on older vehicle's. At least Louisiana isn't.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I would stick with a standard with the "Yamaha". The automatic won't keep those RPM's up when you need them. When you lose it with a Detroit you lose it. They fall flat on their face quick. You can shift the big Allison automatics but they will lug the crap out of the Cummins if you don't watch them.

Ryan123

What they don't know won't hurt them! Haha

Ryan123

I drive a small (23,000 pound) drilling rig. It has a 6 speed eaton and I hate driving it in town. Thankfully thats only once a week. I really wish it was an auto. Heck I wish my deuce was an auto but I rufuse to get an a3. I only like sticks in sports cars.

I see your point on the 10 speed though. I'm not trying to deter you. Just throwing out other ideas. I think the whole concept is awesome. I have always thought a lly duramax with the allison 1000 would be awesome in a bobber. You could even retain the odb 2 to aid in repairs. I have researched it a bit in case I win the lottery lol.

a dura max can build some really stupid power at like 4400 rpm (yes I have seen and know someone who has one) but so can a legit 5.9 out of a somewhat newish dodge 01 and up I think but neither one really holds together more than 10,000 miles. It's a thought. But it's a lot. As far as obd2 you don't really need electronic diagnosis for a mechanical engine. If something does act right ie smokey, missing, blow by ect ect there is a reason for it not just some jacked up sensor but in the case of a dura max you need all that ECM stuff hehe

I know allison makes some 7 speed autos which would be good on the gearing for not to much of a jump between gears.

As as far as a Detroit falling on their face because everyone thinks since they are a 2 stroke it has no low end. Believe it or not the 2 stroke diesels build max torque at lower rpms much like a 4 stroke diesel. I would advise you guys to maybe go to powerlinecomponents.com and check out the literature on 2 stroke detroits you might be surprised.

I run an 8v71 on a cementing skid hooked to a triplex and let me tell ya that baby runs good

Ryan123

Oh and also and auto you can select to "lock" it in specific gears for certain situations like hills or anything that may come up. So I'm still really leaning towards auto.

Ryan123

it seems it may be a challenge to find an automatic without electronics or one that has it and has all of the needed components. most of the ones I'm seeing people have hacked the wiring harnesses up.

brianp454

Many great posts on this thread, thanks everyone! Especially Ryan123! I had no idea the fuel consumption was as low as it is for those old two strokes! They sound awesome too! It makes me want two trucks so I could try one of these engines with a transmission with more gears.

Ryan123

I have heard of people getting 20-23 mpg out of a k2500 with a 4-53T pretty insane really.

On a second note found out today that 6v92's can turn 2300RPM sustained which with another thing I found which is a double overdrive eaton 13 speed transmission which has a final overdrive of .62 which at 2300 rpm 42 inch tired and 6.72:1 that give ya 66.21 mph and you are also getting 335 BHP @ 2100 RPM with the 92 and 957 ft/lbs of torque @ 1300RPM pretty impressive really.

Last edited:

Ryan123

MODEL RTOO/RTOOF-9513

ft/lb rating 1100

RL 12.66
RH 3.43
L 12.10
1st 7.28
2nd 5.10
3rd 3.69
4th 2.70
5th D 1.97
5th O 1.66
6th D 1.38
6th O 1.16
7th D 1.00
7th O .84
8th D .73
8th O .62

32.1" long, 660lbs, PTO .79:1 engine RPM.

DodgerRoger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldnt worry about a hacked up harness to much, you can buy the harness seperate or just get the diagrams, some pins and wire and repair anything they have done. I like this thread as I work at an allison trans and detroit diesel dealer so Im playing with these everyday. I was surprised when I started a few months ago by the amount of 2 stroke work that we still do, lots of these old 2 strokes running around. I like the idea of an old 53 series, they will fit better and rev higher. It would be an interesting project. If you need any help along the way shoot me a PM and have fun.

JasonS

I have heard of people getting 20-23 mpg out of a k2500 with a 4-53T pretty insane really.

On a second note found out today that 6v92's can turn 2300RPM sustained which with another thing I found which is a double overdrive eaton 13 speed transmission which has a final overdrive of .62 which at 2300 rpm 42 inch tired and 6.72:1 that give ya 66.21 mph and you are also getting 335 BHP @ 2100 RPM with the 92 and 957 ft/lbs of torque @ 1300RPM pretty impressive really.
I really think that you would be happier with a 5 ton. Your mods would be much better matched to this size truck.

Ryan123

possibly but I have a deuce and that's the goal here to make it work in a deuce. Did some measuring today and the 6v53t will fit very nicely. no real need for a 5 ton TBH

brianp454

The Old Days

You guys are jogging my memory. When I was a young man in high school I went to VOC-TECH as a mechanic and also took advanced classes like advanced math and honors English. Not a very common occurrence. I wanted to be an engineer, but paying for it was impossible. I took a job with S&S Truck Parts of Indiana (Schlabach brothers, and if memory serves David was the most capable and aggressive to get things done). One of the harder working brothers had a race truck or two and I recall they modified them to turn close to 4000 RPM and make wicked power. They did some kind of big truck racing also. There are folks out there with extensive knowledge of these engines and there's likely old iron sitting around somewhere. Any ideas on finding it? There are folks that modded them too, what did they get out of it?

Last edited:

rustystud

Ryan, go with an older pre-computer Alision like the MT600 series. The military used a lot of them. In fact I got one recently from GL auction for $200.00. You can adjust the shift points to any speed you want, plus there is no wiring needed !!! These units are really strong and also have lockup torque converters, and some also have internal braking.

SP5

Ah, just a little 4-53T, with some mild work, will give you an easy 200hp, at 2500, and remove about 500lbs off the front end, and sure leave lots more space in the engine room.
Sometimes less, is more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks