• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce wont start without ether

sprockett2103

The fuel control rod actually controls the amount of fuel that the injector pump sends to the injectors. If it is gummed up it will not allow the fuel to flow correctly. Sometimes they stick shut, sometimes wide open and sometimes just gummed to where it won't idle below 1000 rpm.

Your description of the fuel stop leads me to the gummed up problem.

View attachment 491948View attachment 491949

The low pressure fuel is the grey shading, it flows down to area of the spill passage. When you use the foot throttle it will move the fuel control unit which in turn moves the plunger sleeve. The more the plunger sleeve uncovers the spill passage the more fuel will be allowed in the spill passage and then on to the injectors. If any of this is gummed up (your brown residue description) it will affect the fuel flow.
finally getting around to trying to get it going again, if gummed up is the issue, which it sounds like, is there any way of getting it apart to clean the crap out?
thanks in advance

rustystud

finally getting around to trying to get it going again, if gummed up is the issue, which it sounds like, is there any way of getting it apart to clean the crap out?
thanks in advance
There is a way but it will take some time. (1) First you need to disconnect the fuel intake line (at the fuel pump booster) , and the filter line. Then all the injector lines. Then put a hose on the booster pump out-put side to the intake side of the injection pump. Now you need to install a line to the intake line of the fuel booster pump. This line will go into a can of cleaning fluid. High quality Kerosene or other diesel cleaners will work. Then just crank the engine over and watch the fluid come out the injection lines until it is clean.(2) Or you can just drain your fuel tank and put the cleaner in it, then remove the injector lines and use the fuel pump to push the cleaner through the injection pump. Only problem with the later plan is the amount of cleaner needed since the fuel tank is pretty big and a gallon of cleaner probably will not get picked from the pump suction line. You will probably need at least 5 gallons of cleaner. Of course Kerosene is pretty reasonable in 5 gallon buckets.

sprockett2103

i have today removed the cover over the engine stop linkage, when the fuel pump is on i get a drip of fuel about every 1 second, i am assuming this is the hydraulic head leaking? i suspect this is the cause of the problem?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks