• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuces by VIN number?

91W350

I have been looking around and cannot seem to find an honest answer. I know somebody here has the ability to read deuce VINs. I did find this thread, but it did not help me much.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/5898-m35a2-year-manufacture-vin-number.html

Kansas law is pretty strange, basically it us summed up in this text I found on antique registration.

"To qualify as an antique, your vehicle must be more than 35 years old, and as close to the original as possible, without any significant alterations to the major component parts (motor, transmission, frame, wheels or body). For example, placing a newer, non-antique engine with a body, frame or other major component part from an antique vehicle of a different vintage year would not constitute an antique vehicle. This type of vehicle would be considered an assembled vehicle, or possibly a "street rod." Similarly, modifying an engine and putting it on an antique frame would no longer qualify the vehicle as an antique. An antique vehicle should be as close to original as possible."

Having spoken to the registration office, there is a huge advantage to licensing as an antique. One time tag fees, annual property taxes, and no vehicle weight hassles. Obviously I want a 1975 or older truck.

I can get a title on a 1949 and newer antique, read older than 1975 with a VIN inspection and bill of sale. That could be very beneficial in my truck search.

I have ditched my bobbing plans, hate to run into a hassle there. It says original wheels, but nothing about tires. I am liking it better all the time. My question is.. can somebody point me to a VIN registry of some sort? Thanks! Glen

91W350

Thanks, I have seen that thread many times and really enjoy reading the history he digs up. I was hoping for some way at auction or on the road or reading auctions to be able to say that is a 1966 for example. I know a lot of early trucks had VIN changes when they were upgraded. I would gladly donate to his cause, just hate to feel like I am bugging him with multiple requests. Glen

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is another thread on this somewhere. This subject came up in 2009 or 2010. You can also look at the contract date on the data plate, if the contract date is 68 for instance, you can safely assume is was built after.
My 1969 vin begins with 0325-

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is another thread on this somewhere. This subject came up in 2009 or 2010. You can also look at the contract date on the data plate, if the contract date is 68 for instance, you can safely assume is was built after.
My 1969 vin begins with 0325-
Our 1968 also begins with "0325-"

I guess they are almost "from the same litter" rofl

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure your VIN starts with "05**-*****" or lower. All of the "05" trucks were contracted in 1970 (I think) and I've never seen a "05" truck that was newer than a 1973.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I just got home so I am gonna be short on this for right now...

The 05 is incorrect. The 05xxxxxxx means you have a drop side. Without looking I think is is 0525-

The 2009 thread to decipher vin info was removed due to the fact it was information from a copyrighted article and the publisher had to give permission for it to be posted. It was removed from the website.

One way to look on certain models is the last 2 digits of the registration number. A 70 is 1970, 71 is 1971. Only some years did this. If it is an Air Force truck, the registration number will be 71Kxxxx with the first two digits equating to the year.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure your VIN starts with "05**-*****" or lower. All of the "05" trucks were contracted in 1970 (I think) and I've never seen a "05" truck that was newer than a 1973.

If you go through the VIN INFO thread you'll see the pattern. It's pretty obvious.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got home so I am gonna be short on this for right now...

The 05 is incorrect. The 05xxxxxxx means you have a drop side. Without looking I think is is 0525-
No, you're incorrect. 0540 would be a dropside. the "40" means dropside. A 0525 is a standard M35A2 without winch. "05" IS the lot number.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I must disagree with some of the information below. A South Bend plant serial number configured as XX25XXXXX could be fixed side or drop side trucks built before 1970 (and I have photos of such trucks in Vietnam prior to 1970, so these do exist). Later dropside non-winch trucks were XX40XXXXX. XX41XXXXXX are later dropside with winch. Serial numbers XX39XXXXX are late model fixed side trucks with winch.

That said, the earliest 05xxxxxxx truck I have in my records were built in 1970 on contract DAAE06-70-C-0001.

If the end goal is to get a 1975 or earlier vehicle, all the 05XX-XXXXX and lower trucks were built prior to 1975. 06XX-XXXXX starts in 1973 or 74 (I'd have to look to be sure, and its late, and I'm tired) and runs up to 1977 or so.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

Last edited:

91W350

Thanks Guys, I will do some more old post reading and see if I can pick up on that pattern 310 speaks of. I thought I had it figured out, but then I found several that disagreed with me. The story of my life. Glen

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, I knew about the earlier dropside trucks but had forgotten about it. I guess I was more referring to the "05" lot trucks though. I think all of the dropside 05s had the "40" designator. Am I right?

madmachinistm1a1

This is what I have learned getting my deuce titled.

Vin# starts with 01 its a 66
02 its a 67 with last numbers less than 20,000
02 with last numbers greater than 20,000 its a early 68
03 is a 68
04 is a 69
05 is a 70
Mine is a 67 kiaser , didnt have no problem getting a title and antique tag for it. Trooper Wiegel was a big help and very nice to work with in getting this done.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
This is what I have learned getting my deuce titled.

Vin# starts with 01 its a 66
02 its a 67 with last numbers less than 20,000
02 with last numbers greater than 20,000 its a early 68
03 is a 68
04 is a 69
05 is a 70
Mine is a 67 kiaser , didnt have no problem getting a title and antique tag for it. Trooper Wiegel was a big help and very nice to work with in getting this done.
I believe that if you will do further research that the information above is not correct.
Best wishes,
David Doyle

mtmopar

Just as an FYI my GPD Jeep is an 05 but was made in 1971, the contract date for this truck was also in 1970

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks