• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuces hard on asphalt?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Then again we could look at it another way...if we do tear up asphalt with our deuces, maybe the asphalt needed to be replaced anyway! hahaha!....then again, might be replaced on our dime, that wouldnt be fun. It would be Murphey's law....we'd be doing a favor for somebody and end up tearing a driveway up...that would be my luck!:rolleyes:

ALFA2

Unless it get over 110 F + and stays that way all day, you should be OK, just let the clutch out gently, and stop very smoothly. Tires over 65 PSI, will be noticeably harder on the asphalt then at 45 PSI, especially at over 110 F all day. ....

Hope this helps.

ALFA2

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It depends on how much surface area the tires are putting on the asphalt and not necessarily how much it ways. Skinny hard tires will leave an impression before wide ones. I had 8 concrete trucks go across my asphalt drive the entire length of it with 70,000lbs on each truck (without their bogeys down) and even with the existing cracks in the drive they did no damage and I couldn't even see the asphalt move any. Now when they hit the soft ground out to the barn was a different story. ;-) sw

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When driving on pavement, free up the rear bogie and reduce tire scrubbing significantly...also a singled out deuce will mark up the asphalt less while reducing the turning circle.

royaltiger1945

In response to dittle's post about the weight of his truck, back in June of 2001, my dad ordered a new Ford F350 crewcab, diesel, 6 spd manual, extended wheel base dually with a 9 ft service body. The service body only comes up to the height of the rear window. This truck weighed in at the truck scales with a full 40 gallon tank and nothing else in it at 10,000 lbs. dead even. This was back in California and was required in order for it to be registered as it was originally a cab and chassis. Any heavier and would have been registered as a class B truck as it is used as a commercial vehicle.

I have never had any problems withit on a concrete driveway, but have on occasion left black marks. But as everyone else has said, it all depends on the quality of the surface and what it was designed to carry if you will sink. You can always switch over to dualled 11x20s or super-singles if you are really worried about sinking in, but you will still leave some black marks on occasion.

Tobiah

jas67

Ford F250 = 5000 lbs empty on 4 tires = 1250 lbs per tire average
Deuce W/W = 13,530 lbs empty on 10 tires = 1353 lbs per tire average

Both the deuce and the PU truck are significantly heavier on the front tires than the rear, so they should be about the same amount over the average weight per tire.

If the driveway can handle a 3/4 ton PU truck, a deuce should be fine.

-Chuck
I don't know what year F250 your numbers are for, but my 2006 F-350 Superduty, crew cab, long bed, with 6.0L Powerstroke is about 7300 lbs empty. The F-350 Superduty is pretty much the same as the F-250 Superduty -- just different springs. That brings the average up to 1460 per tire. And the larger tires on the deuce are going to have a larger contact patch for less PSI on the pavement.

stumps

Is the message really lost if an F250 weighs 4900 lbs empty, or 7000 lbs empty?

Also, the PSI your tires put on the ground is going to be, on average, very close to the same as the tire inflation pressure. If that were not true, your tires wouldn't go flat when all of the air leaked out. That is the principle behind lowering your tire pressure when you have to travel on soft ground.

-Chuck

cbvet

Deuces, original 900-20 duals or single 1100s, don't damage the asphalt outside my shop.
The M813 with 1400-20 Michelins is a different story. Left parked in a sunny area for several days, the tires sunk about 3/8 of an inch into the blacktop. PITA, as the wheels on my creeper catch in the depressions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks