• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DH's M817

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently won(GL) an M817. Towed it home with the M819.

When I brought it home, I found the motor was "locked up".

I don't see any oil or coolant contamination. When I drained the oil, I found no metallic parts or anything on the drain plug magnet.

I removed the valve covers and noticed the exhaust valve adjustment lock nut on cyl #3 was MIA.The adjuster was unscrewed to the point that the rocker arm was touching the valve(bridge). I cleaned the threads with a tap and reinstalled the adjuster with a locknut. I also noticed when I tapped on the valve, it stuck in. Bent, I assume.

I pulled the inspection cover on the block. Saw cyl #4 journal, and it looked good. That's about all I could see in that window. What is this window for?

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
121114_0004.jpgI had vistors as I was posting this. I had to stop.

What do you need pics of? Dirty oil? A valve spring?

Well, this new picture thing, aint working for me, so I'll just keep typing my story.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a picture of a truck, towed by a truck.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is riveting.

I know there might be an engine in Indianapolis......

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a complete engine in a can(was test fired a few years ago). I want to diagnose this engine and repair it if I can. Since I have 2 other trucks with this motor, I'd like to keep my spare motor complete for now.

I posted this thread because I wanted a place to document what I have been doing and I'd like share what I am doing. Also, this gets my situation out there, in case someone has parts to offer. Like at this point, I may consider a head swap, if one were found close and inexpensively. I probably will drop the oil pan next.

Perhaps others will have ideas that could help, or this can help someone else.

Unfortunately, real life is not all that exciting sometimes.

It's below freezing here, so progress will be slow.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a little cool here as well which is why I didn't work on getting my engine out of the can and into the Deuce.

The riveting was referring to Gimpy......

Good luck and I'm getting ready to go out and start taking parts off the old engine. :-(

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Up-Skirt pics

Today I dropped the oil pan to get a good look inside. I found the problem.

The #3 cyl piston is cracked down the sidewall to the skirt. I assume from the valve hitting it.

Everything else looks very good, including the cyl sleeve.

I'm gonna look around for a used head, sleeve and piston & rod assembly. If When I pull the head, it looks like I could get away with a quick honing, I may try that. (At this point the coolant is still in and good).

I took a few up-skirt shots today, but the crack is not easily seen in the pics(sorry). I know I read another thread on here where someone else had the same issue.

I loosened the the #3 rod nuts and was able to easily crank the engine a little bit. This was definitely what was keeping it from rotating. I also checked and have some crank end-play(easily achieved with a screwdriver).

If you know of or have a parts NHC-250, please PM me if you want to pull and sell some parts. I'd like to try to repair this truck on the cheap, since it is unknown if it has any other issues.

Attachments

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sourced a newer motor from an M923.

I have not proceeded on the swap as other things have been more important.

This project is on the 2015 agenda.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I sourced a newer motor from an M923.

I have not proceeded on the swap as other things have been more important.

This project is on the 2015 agenda.
I have the same delay with my M275 have a nos motor in the can, but having a place, friends and time to do it have yet to line up. Hoping to have it done by this years MVPA national so I can tow my M146 to it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have the same delay with my M275 have a nos motor in the can, but having a place, friends and time to do it have yet to line up. Hoping to have it done by this years MVPA national so I can tow my M146 to it.
Bring it to the 15SSGAR, that way you WILL HAVE friends, a place and time to get the job done, AND even the Gimp will be there.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
update, haven't touched it yet...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks