• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DHS Systems DRASH 20kw Lister-Petter

dan2002dd

I have a DHS Systems 19-6344-003 20Kw , 96000 Cooling BTU, 46100 Heating BTU unit that I'm looking for info on. I have not been able to get it to run yet and I believe the fuel system needs priming. It has a Lister-Petter 4801991-LPWT4A079 4cylinder diesel engine. It has about 2000 hours on it. I don't think the HVAC is going to work as someone has previously removed some parts and one of the motors does not spin over. I have not been able to find any info on just the engine either. Does anyone have instructions for priming or a TM for this setup? Pictures to follow. I'm thinking of using the generator as a backup for my house, currently I have a 5kw MEP002A as needed. Also is there a market for the HVAC unit or is it just scrap?

dan2002dd

I have not replaced any fuel lines. The only one that would be just a rubber hose is the one between the fuel tank and fuel pump and between pump and filter. All the others would be a specific part. And I do have fuel going to the fuel filter.

dan2002dd

Does it fire on ether?
Yes. The shutdown solenoid is not working either so I have it in the run position (I think). I am just spraying it thru the air filter because the insulation has come off the side and I don't want to pull all that into the engine. So it hasn't run very long, just a few seconds.

dan2002dd

I had it running on ether and wd40 today, run about a minute but it was not pumping fuel like it should be. The shutdown solenoid is not working so I tried it in both positions to make sure I didn't have it wrong. I did find today that the return fuel was not going back to the tank and that was corrected. Is there anything else that would shut it down, low oil or something? Need some suggestions.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never worked on one of these specifically, but start with the basics. Air, Fuel Compression.
probably has the standard safety sensors for low oil pressure, high coolant temp, low coolant level, stuff like that, but most of those are disabled on generators during cranking while the switch is held in the "on" position.

Is it making smoke when cranking it over like it's getting fuel at all? If not, then I'd be troubleshooting the fuel system.

As you say you have fuel going to the filter, but doesn't seem to be firing, I'd just continue along the fuel lines, cracking fittings and checking for fuel until I find where there isn't any fuel.

Not sure if this is the exact one for your machine, but I did find a couple of manuals that cover the Lister Petter LPWT4 engine
Workshop Manual
http://engine.od.ua/ufiles/LISTER-PETTER-LPA-LPW-LPWT-LPWS-and-LPWG-Alpha-Series-WM.pdf

Parts Manual (one listed as "new")

all from this site:

dan2002dd

I did open the fuel lines at the "injector pump " (not sure if it that's what its called on this one) and I got a little fuel but not the amount that should be coming out. Some fuel came out all except the front line.

Thanks for the manuals, I'll check them out.

dan2002dd

I still haven't been able to get it running. The manuals show parts breakdowns but don't show the detail of how the individual fuel pumps and the throttle work together for this engine. I did find that this engine is the same as an Onan 20kw generator engine, I believe the DNAF model. I couldn't find a repair manual for that either. So if anyone can find a repair manual for an Onan 20kw generator, I would be grateful.

dan2002dd

I discovered the #1 fuel pump was stuck. I removed it and got it freed up. It was difficult to get it back in place just right but I finally got it. It starts and runs now. I have a few leak to fix and I think the on/off/start switch is shorted because now if won't engage the starter and stop switch is engaging randomly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks