• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diagnostics help. Possible failed transfer case?

tremmert

Hello,
I have a 1987 M998 w/ 38k miles and the 6.2L. The vehicle has run fine for the past year. Last month while driving, I heard a loud clanging noise from under the vehicle and lost power. Pulled to the side of the road and parked it. When I tried to resume driving, the vehicle went in reverse w/ a loud clanging noise. I stopped, then switched the TCase to HL and the vehicle worked fine. I was able to get it home. When switching back to H, the vehicle wants to go in reverse again with the loud sound.

I am assuming this is a problem with the TCase. If so, does anyone know any specifics on repairing the unit? Or what might be wrong?

Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the problem is related to the interaxle differential inside the transfer case. Most of the time these 218's are not worth fixing. I would put a want ad up, lots of folks are upgrading to the 242 and have a 218 as a waste product.

snowtrac nome

I think I would look underneath check axle shafts and differentials make shure the failure isn't one of those items first a worn slip yoke will also do that

tremmert

Thanks for the advice! This is new territory to me. Do you have any advice as to how to properly inspect this?

tremmert

Thanks for the link... TM is always a good read!

I reviewed sections 8 and 9 for removal/installation procedures, but didn't see much regarding troubleshooting my issue. Tomorrow, Ill get the vehicle parked in the garage and visually look for any damage.

Thanks for yalls help

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know I think snotrac may be right, more likely a blown CV joint, the "goes in reverse" is what I have never seen, usually with a blown CV it won't move at all.

tremmert

I could be completely wrong, but wouldn't a blown CV behave the same way in "H" or "HL"? When in "HL" the vehicle is good, and behaves normally. I am just mentally trying to understand how the vehicle would go in reverse when in "H". Any thoughts?

erasedhammer

Had the same problem. Don't change the transfer case just yet, it could be a waste of time and money.
For me if was a CV joint in my left rear half shaft. Vehicle will work in HL and L with a half shaft broken, but not Have. With a broken CV joint there will be no visual differences, but start there

tremmert

Thanks for the info! I finally got the vehicle in the garage, and discovered a broken CV on the rear right (passenger) side. I did pickup the TCase just in case, but I will start with the half shaft. Next problem, is trying to find one locally!