• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diamond in the rough or just plain rough??

wsucougarx

Hey guys, looking for a recommendation on this one. I found this M-561 locally to me. It's seen better days and according to the owner, it's only been out to pasture for about 7 years. I'm thinking more like 20 years. Any idea what I should offer on this Gama Goat? The owner said he bought them on auction in Alaska for about $4,000. In fact, he bought 5 to use on his farm. He has since sold two and has only 3 left. This particular one is the only one he'd be willing to sell. Looks like everything is there but she's been sitting. The steering is non-existent in that it is completely seized. I'm sure the steering box needs to be replaced. Anything made out of steel is rusted...really rusted. Even the throttle assy on the Detroit won't budge. Looks like the engine is a rebuild. The odometer only shows about 2,551 miles. The oil looks good, the coolant looks good. I was unable to get in the cab as there were about 2 yellow nests and they fought me off with two of their attackers. What should I offer on this goat?

Attachments

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with NDT. Unless it's next to free you can buy a running one out of the classifieds here for less than it'd take to get that any where near worth something. Mine was running, driving, and almost steering and stopping and I've still put over $4k into it beyond the initial purchase price. You can get a take out front steering box for around $75 but then it's going to be at least another $75 to ship it to you then there's the rear and all of the connections between the two. Where do you find all the throttle parts and what are they going to cost? I'm willing to bet that almost all of the wiring is going to be just as corroded as the throttle. I'm having a heck of a time just finding the right thermostat. Best to spend a little extra up front on something you can at least move around the property on it's own then pay a little less but have to start by completely tearing the thing down.

wsucougarx

Thanks guys. Funny thing about getting into a project. My son saw a pile of garbage. I was visioning the end product rather than what was beyond my eyes. Thanks for the advise guys. I will pass on this truck. However, I may go back for the side racks and the ammo can rack he has on another Gama Goat. I was a tragedy to see the troop heaters in the trailer all rusted beyond belief. Too bad he didn't take care of his goats. Just wished it was 10 years earlier then I could saved at least one.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys. Funny thing about getting into a project. My son saw a pile of garbage. I was visioning the end product rather than what was beyond my eyes. Thanks for the advise guys. I will pass on this truck. However, I may go back for the side racks and the ammo can rack he has on another Gama Goat. I was a tragedy to see the troop heaters in the trailer all rusted beyond belief. Too bad he didn't take care of his goats. Just wished it was 10 years earlier then I could saved at least one.
If he's willing to sell parts I'm looking for the Black Out Light mount/guard (although the one in the pics looks bent). I don't need the light but the mount/guard is unique to Goats.

wsucougarx

I've got a NOS Hardtop kit. Just no Gama Goat at the moment. Which parts are you needing? The guy I got the kit from has another one still in crate.

BillIdaho

It would appear I am the lone dissenting voice here.

I would seriously consider it -at the least- a parts rig. However, no where near $4000. I would offer him 5 $100 bills, (in $20's), as the transfer case, trans, heck, even the engine might be save-able. Ya' never know....after a weekend of cleaning, there could be a real Goat underneath all the weeds. I have seen far worse end up being easily restored.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree its worth $500 but don't believe the seller would entertain that amount. But for one to rebuild he can find a better candidate compared to what this one would cost to even get started.

combat32

I need the upper and lower brackets that attach the top to the windshield frame. I would go 15 or 1,600 on the truck as well, lots of hard to get parts there. It looks pretty complete to me.

m38inmaine

Thanks for posting those pictures, makes my project seem so much easier! I would like to know, given the time frame he said he got them, how he got so many whole units during the de-mill required era. Look to be ambulance models with the insulated covers. Any thing can be restored and brought back to life but I agree this would be a better parts machine. You have an advantage in my opinion as there seem to be a lot more M561's in your area than here in the East.

combat32

Yes I agree would love to have access to parts like that close to me, there are about 60 goats at Camp Gruber in Oklahoma not too far from me, but I have no contacts there to try to work any deals.There is a super nice one at the museum on Ft. Lewis I posted some pictures of a while back it was an ambulance too.

conny

You said oil and radiator are good. Use a can of diesel, add a battery, disconnect and hand throttle, clean the engine bay a bit and see if it will start. Nothing to lose.

wsucougarx

Hmm, revisiting this Gama Goat. I know this Goat will need some TLC. Other than a good washing, if the engine and the drivetrain are good to go. What would be a reasonable offer to put on this Goat. Mind you guys, this is a west coast MV. For some reason, MV's are a bit more expensive here. Other than this Goat, the closest running one is in Montana/Colorado/Missouri. So a local Gama Goat seems to be nowhere to be seen. Therefore this one is on the table since it's only 15 miles from me.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again, you'd be miles ahead buying one a little further away and paying to have it shipped or making a trip yourself. It'll take a lot before you are able to determine if the drivetrain is any good on this one.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could offer the price for scrap weight for all of the aluminum. That way, if you turn out not having the diamond, you could sell the rough, and break even except for effort. But that is the best part, worth not being paid to tinker on an MV.

If you want to share info on the other arctic top with a fellow WA steel soldier, I would be willing to make a trip to the wet side.

Last edited:

m38inmaine

I would be more inclined to buy the red one that's been on the big "E" for 5k and go get it or ship it. I considered it but shipping to Maine would have doubled the price, you are a lot closer.

wsucougarx

I will when everything goes as planned. The guy with the hardtop is my backup to my backup plan. Kind of my last resort parts Gama Goat. If I don't secure one with an engine then that'll be my last resort. Hoping to pick up a complete running Gama Goat...hopefully.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with a couple other posts here. If you can pick it up at the scrap metal price you can get it home and look it over to see exactly what condition it's in. If it's more than you care to tackle then part it out and make a couple bucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks