• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diamond-T 4T 6x6 tidbits found at stone quarries in the 1980's

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Below: 4T Model 972 (edited : thanks Jeff) ... It was a rock hauler up into the 1980's, replaced by bigger-newer, and he wanted to preserve it anyway.. Had been sitting about 5 years when I saw it.. Owner said a little fresh gas and grease and it could go right back to work

20240213_112833.jpg

Below: A sister Model 972 rock hauler, had been parked OOS in the 1970s... Both of these trucks were equipped with BO lighting systems

20240213_113825.jpg

Below: remains of a Diamond-T (edited : thanks Jeff)..... 4T open-cab, seen in the late-80s

20240213_112845.jpg

Below: Diamond-T 4-Ton 6x6 , ex-USAAF (from a water-damaged negative) Late-80s .. Interesting door/hardtop

20240213_113958.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff Lakaszcyck

Cool pictures, thanks for posting them. I can help with the id's.

The first two are Diamond T 972 (if they are original dump trucks) 4 ton 6x6's.

The third photo is an open cab Diamond T 4 ton 6x6, probably a 968 cargo truck, but hard to say without a rear body.

Last one is another Diamond T 4 ton 6x6, this is an open cab model with a shop built closed cab.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool pictures, thanks for posting them. I can help with the id's.
The first two are Diamond T 972 (if they are original dump trucks) 4 ton 6x6's.
thanks... i seem to recall the 1st two had "mack" embossed on the upper radiator and/or on the nomen tag on dash , and mack axles.. is that possible?

Jeff Lakaszcyck

thanks... i seem to recall the 1st two had "mack" embossed on the upper radiator and/or on the nomen tag on dash , and mack axles.. is that possible?
Unless someone changed some things around, (and they look pretty original) there were no Mack parts on these trucks. The axles were Timken. The early Diamond T's had the Diamond T emblem embossed on the radiator tank, but the later ones had nothing. The Diamond T's were 4 ton 6x6's, Mack built 6 and 7-1/2 ton 6x6's. Mack NM 6 ton and NO 7-1/2 ton below.

Mack 1941 NM-3 6x6.jpg Mack 1943 NO-2 6x6.jpg

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless someone changed some things around, (and they look pretty original) there were no Mack parts on these trucks. The axles were Timken. The early Diamond T's had the Diamond T emblem embossed on the radiator tank, but the later ones had nothing. The Diamond T's were 4 ton 6x6's, Mack built 6 and 7-1/2 ton 6x6's. Mack NM 6 ton and NO 7-1/2 ton below.
Thanks! The only WW2 heavies I am familiar with are the LaFrance M1A1, CCKW, and M5H6's.. Grew up near a road-building outfit that ran them regularly from 1946-1975 and learned which was what by the time i was a teen.. I could also tell just by the sound of the engine, what was coming up the road.. Other than that, I can't tell you the difference between a White or Diamond-T 4T , nor mack ..

I certainly was mistaken about where I had seen the Mack inscriptions.. I was also under the impression other builders were involved in making the 4T trucks... 1 plus 1 make Boo - (boo) :LOL:

The two model 972 dumps were pretty-much complete and looked OEM except the exhaust mod on one, and the mods to both dump beds,

re: Reinforced/extended headache rack, Addition of heavy box steel along the upper rails of the bed, and fabrication of a rock gate ..

The 4T open-cab w/shop-built closed cab had a dump bed from a commercial truck.. I have a pic of its (leather!) nomen tag somewhere.. Was apparently a 968A cargo truck.. I recall USAAF was stamped on its tag

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks