• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did I buy the wrong winch for a m818??

tmr4479

Found the winch on eBay. I buy it I get it shipped here I'm not sure its the right one. The data plate says its rated for 10000 pounds.20140801_065247.jpg20140801_065328.jpg20140801_065738.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the correct winch for a 5 ton.

Can you post apicture of the input shaft?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, it's correct.

It may be old.

It may have been labeled as such, and rated differently(like at full drum pull) rather than first layer pull?

I would not worry about it. It's the correct winch.

Jeepsinker

Yep, that is actually a 20,000lb winch. You are good to go. Be sure to use the proper shear pin though on the driveshaft to winch connection. And keep a couple spares in the map compartment.

tmr4479

Great I feel a lot better now. I spent hours looking at pictures of winches to see if I could find one that looked like mine only rated for 10k. Any install tips yall can give me?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM me for correct shear pins.

ke5eua

Pfft, every good little private knows you use grade 8 bolts instead, lol

No seriously, use the correct shear pins or you will end up in a world of hurt, ask me how I know.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pfft, every good little private knows you use grade 8 bolts instead, lol

No seriously, use the correct shear pins or you will end up in a world of hurt, ask me how I know.
How do you know?

ke5eua

How do you know?
My second deployment the truck I signed for had a bolt instead of the shear pin on the winch. I didn't know it and when we used the winch to pull something the pin should have snapped, instead it cost us a winch and an investigation as to why we were having to replace a winch.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i can see it now.. in the classifieds.. winch cable for sale. slightly used always stored inside. some small fraying.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks