• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

did i do bad?

whyme

im posting in alt fuels because honestly im just being optimistic my problem is personal stupidity and not mechanical malfunction.

background:
ive been running diesel and occasionally strait gas (usually had some diesel in the tank so i want worried and don't do it that often), when i find it ill run atf in small quantities and clean new motor oil

ive had some issues with a hard start but always runs fine once its started.

a month or so ago i began running WMO sometimes with diesel or gas but mostly 100% WMO, the truck seemed to be a tad more sluggish when the motor was cold but felt great when it warmed up, starting was no differant than before, 3-4 second crank with the gas depressed. i have been filtering to 10 microns with a water separator/block an ran aprox 80-100 gallons of WMO through the truck.

last week i was given 5 gallons of WVO, it was very clean and in a pinch i tossed it in (filtered through a screen just in case but there was no visible particles) the engine was warm already at the time and asside form smelling like i was driving a mobile french fry no change in performance. first cold start was another story, it ran on 3-4 cylinders for a few min then it was good to go. since then ive run 40+ gallons of diesel through the truck and yesterday i tossed in some diesel kleen. halfway home it started missing and loosing power so i assumed maybe i was low on fuel (i was just above a 1/8th when i checked the tank) so i stopped and added 10 gallons and away i went only to find no change. then it died. waited 10 min while looking over everything and started it up again. now i can get moving but i get a sudden surge of power then it dies and repeats, since im rolling in gear i dont have to restart since the engine is always spinning.

im curios if this is a result of gelling in the lines even tho its been a while since i ran WVO or it was pointed out maybe the diesel kleen broke residue free and is clogging the lines and injectors. all filters are new as of a week and a half ago and i have flow at the bleeder above the secondaries.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Change your filters next.(buy about 3 sets) The veggie oil broke loose all your scum on the surfaces of your tank, lines and filter housings. It is acidic, it cleans the system so well you will now enjoy changing your filters a few times until it is all gone(you'll see the filter media will look like it is plugged with black silt). Been there, done that, won't do it again.

Flyingvan911

Try changing your fuel filters. The WVO might have clogged them up. There should be lots of little particles in there that the screen would not catch.

kennys@wi.rr.com

Filters should always be the first thought. I would also reconsider ever running straight gas in the truck. The IP/HH need to be lubed from the fuel, gasoline has no lube for the fuel system.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good info, gang!
I've recently introduced 12 gallons of filtered WVO to about the same amount of existing Diesel in the tank, so a 50-50 mix.
After 5 minutes idle time she stalled once, restarted and ran just fine. Our low temps have been near 70F and highs around 100F (so never really gets COLD). but it cold starts fine and has run well since. So far, so good. Will be replacing fuel filters this weekend and will check for crud from the lines.

3dAngus

Is it possible to be totally unrelated to fuel mentioned, perhaps air getting in the lines.

Have you tried filling the tank with diesel to ensure it is not air in the tank pump. You said you were running low, or about 1/10 of a tank and only put in 10 gallons.

I would do an all diesel tank full before anything, as you have nothing to lose in doing so.

TACTICAL6

Had the exact same issue a few weeks back when I introduced WVO to the system. In 4th and 5th it would have all kinds of power, then all of a sudden act as though starving for fuel. I changed all the fuel filters and no more problems.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would opt to drian and clean the tank, before adding new diesel.

Open your petcock on the secondary filter housing. I bet it flows slowly.

whyme

well yesterday we had 85+ temps and at about 5 o'clock i went out to see what i could do and sure enough it fired right up so i tinkered around and found that there was two loose screws (7/16) that held what looks to be a small primer pump on the side of the IP, its where the fuel line comes in and out before going to the filters (sorry i don't have a diagram in front of me to tell you exactly what it is. anyway it was loose enough that i could wiggle it a bit so i assume i was getting air form behind that now it idles alot smoother. i took it for a ride and after 20 or so min of hard driving it started sputtering and puttering again, let it sit for an hour and i was running strong again. thismorning on my way in it ran perfect all the way.

its still a little bit of a hard start and i will change the filters tonight (car quest only had 1 secondary yesterday) and see what happens. i can still smell fryer even after running alot of diesel so i may drain the tank and change the filters at the same time.

on a side note i think my gen finally bit it, one of the belts let go this morning and the other came off. i had a puff of smoke in the cab and watched the volt gauge peg right so i shut the acc switch off and continued to drive (have a thread about and ongoing issue) when i turned it back on about a mile later the temp started to climb. by the time i had a safe pull over i was hitting almost 240. long story short, my arms are very blistered from the radiator...aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks