• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did I use the right grease?

Gunfreak25

Probably a little too late to ask this now, but I picked up 2 large tubs of this particular grease from NAPA to repack all my bearings, knuckles and CV's. Used about 2.5lbs per knuckle. It was all NAPA had and at $12 a tub it was a good deal....I guess. Anyway, I am pretty sure it will do just fine. Won't it? I ask this because it's considerably thinner and softer than the original old grease that was in the knuckles which was dark brown in color (baby poop brown). The old grease had the consistancy of cold stick butter (hard to spread on bread you know) and this Valvoline grease is more like margarine. Will it do the job okay or have I packed the wrong grease in everything? If I did, I'm going to cry. :lol: :-(

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As a principle, petroleum engineering in the 1950's and today is a little different. Today's lubricants are advanced products and USUALLY will surpass the quality of most products available decades ago.

The application for wheel bearing grease in the Deuce is not "special" in any way; no extreme pressure or extreme heat or extreme dust to deal with. As such, any modern regular quality automotive grease should do just fine.

My two cents. Others may digress.

gunboy1656

Unless I am missing something, one was at 0351 and the other was 0352 which by my watch translates to a minute not hours. How much have you had to drink?

Gunfreak25

Actually it looks like each thread was made only a minute or two apart. I really have no clue, my PC has been on the fritz with double posts and sending double PM's and emails. If a mod would delete one of them and move all the posts to the other that would be great!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll be fine with that grease. I've been using NAPA wheel bearing and chassis grease for my bearings and knuckles for several years without problems.

panshark

gunfreak, you gotta keep the cats offa the keyboard. The devil starts working on the computer when cats start tapdancing on the keyboard! Haven't seen 'em cause too much trouble with the mouse...