• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did not get 47 quarts of coolant like it stated out of my m923a2

Snowtiger

I drained my coolant today and only recovered 1 and a 1/4 buckets of coolant which is allot less than the 47 quarts that it stated. The antifreeze looked reasonably clean as well as there was not any sludge built up when I opened the drain on the radiator. I would really appreciate any feedback as to what's going on. I opened a few coolant lines and they were all drained so I'm really scratching my head.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
see TM 9-2320-272-23-2 WP 0287

I collect coolant in a 20 gallon barrel now after trying several 5 gallon buckets on my 923A2. So you either have a venting issue or you didn't have near enough coolant in the system.

Snowtiger

I opened the vent like your showing, and my surge tank was at the correct level so Im stumped. The only reason I drained it was to inspect my water pump and change my thermostat so all I can think of is there's a low lying area that didn't drain. Doing the math at best I got 30 litres, scared me enough i checked all my oil dipsticks their level was good and it looked clean, so I'm going to probably fill her up and flush one more time. Thank you for your feed back this is making stress a bit

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pop your access ports off the engine as well as both drain ports on the radiator. And see what you get

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CAUTIONWhen filling cooling system on M939A2 series vehicles, ensure drain valve on aftercooler isopen. Failure to do so may result in damage to equipment.NOTEThe cooling system for the vehicles covered in this manual has a 47 qt (44.5 L) capacity.1. Fill cooling system with required amount of antifreeze and add water to full mark. Close aftercooler(Figure 2, Item 3) drain valve (Figure 2, Item 4) when coolant starts running out of drain valve on M939A2vehicles.2. Install filler cap (Figure 2, Item 1) on surge tank (Figure 2, Item 2).3. Start engine (TM 9-2320-272-10) and run at fast idle (800 to 1,000 rpm) until engine temperature reaches185°F (85°C). At this temperature, thermostats should fully open

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I only put in Fleet Charge 50/50 until full which is good for -30 here. No water! You may need -40 protection there so you may have to put in a couple gallons of non diluted antifreeze. Only use low silicate antifreeze in a diesel!

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI, the oil cooler holds 3 quarts of coolant. There is a drain valve for it to. See TM 9-2320-272-23-2 FIELD MAINTENANCETHERMOSTATS AND HOUSING REPLACEMENT (M939A2) I had one thermostat fail open on my truck and it took forever to heat up.

Snowtiger

I didn't see anything in the manual about that it would help solve the mystery because today I added new coolant and it took exactly what came out 27 litres. I even pushed air through all the openings and every one vented to the open drain so no blockages. I also have very little pressure as well unless I work the throttle to higher revs so I am truly stumped. The engine sounds great but some how something is stopping pressure to build up even after inspecting the water pump and changing the thermostat........maybe a bad rad cap ? I'm really grabbing at straws here. Also my oils look good and no pressure when I pull the dip sticks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks