• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did the 12 volt conversion. Made a funny video of the first start. Enjoy.

Gradient

I wanted to make sure I captured whatever happened after doing all this work. Fire, explosion... whatever. What I found was glory and I decided to share my glory with all you as part of my introduction as a new member to this wonderful forum; the forum that provided me with all the information I needed!

Enjoy!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sounded like a lot of cranking. It took 5 seconds. I would expect it to take half that or less.

What did you convert to 12 volts?

Nice video, did you actually meet Gandhi?

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So let me guess, "YOU DA MAN"............

At least I wasn't videoed when I did my start up boogie the first time I lit off the Cummins in my M814.............

MarcusOReallyus

Soooo I'm confused, you were sending some mixed signals there...........were you happy?

:funny:

Y'know, as I watched it, I was thinking that you were awfully confident to be acting like that on video BEFORE you had actually fired it up.

Then I realized, if it hadn't started, you'd just have deep-sixed the video and we'd never have known about it. :mrgreen:

Come to think of it, how many attempts did you really make? :whistle:

Anyway, nice job. :beer:

What made you decide to convert?

Keith_J

24 volt 27MT starters are so easy to overhaul for under $20 that conversion seems like a waste of money. Sure, you only need one battery but that one battery works harder so it likely won't last as long.

Gradient

That sounded like a lot of cranking. It took 5 seconds. I would expect it to take half that or less.

What did you convert to 12 volts?
That was the first time it started in 7 months and the fuel was old, so it took awhile (notice the huge puff of smoke?) Like Recovry4x4 said, it was just a 24v deletion and it is completely reversible, so basically the starter and glow plug relay were wired directly to 12v. I only bought this thing recently, and the guy I bought it from (or someone before him) messed up the electrical so there were burnt wires and things that were arc welded to one another. The 24v starter worked perfectly, but since I was replacing a bunch of other things, I decided to make it easier and just convert it to 12v since the resistor pack was bad too.

:funny:

Y'know, as I watched it, I was thinking that you were awfully confident to be acting like that on video BEFORE you had actually fired it up.

Then I realized, if it hadn't started, you'd just have deep-sixed the video and we'd never have known about it. :mrgreen:

Come to think of it, how many attempts did you really make? :whistle:

Anyway, nice job. :beer:

What made you decide to convert?
I was confident, and it was the first attempt... really. Notice the 5 second crank and the huge puff of smoke? I had it in mind to make the video funny from the start, so I prepared for it by planting the beer in the truck beforehand. If it hadn't started then I had a whole different ending to the video planned as well.
See above response for the reasons for converting. :beer:

24 volt 27MT starters are so easy to overhaul for under $20 that conversion seems like a waste of money. Sure, you only need one battery but that one battery works harder so it likely won't last as long.
The old 24v starter works fine and the 12v conversion still uses BOTH batteries. They are wired parallel to one another as opposed to series for 24v. As for the cost... a few ring terminals, some solder and flux. Less than $5. The GPs, GP relay and various other parts were bad anyway, so they needed replacement regardless. I am going to sell on the 24v starter to recoup the cost of the 12v one.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you PM me a price with shipping, I may be interested in your old starter.

I'd like a spare.

unaffiliated

Love the video. You are a very funny guy. I too want to party with you. I am going to convert mine back to 12 volt when I put the engine back in. WHY? Because it is MY truck and I want to.

Gradient

Good job on the conversion and the video. Give the man a cigar!
Love the video. You are a very funny guy. I too want to party with you. I am going to convert mine back to 12 volt when I put the engine back in. WHY? Because it is MY truck and I want to.

Cheers guys! If you find yourselves in San Diego [the official beer capital in North America] we will party.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just my luck, I was there a year ago.

I met up with DUG.

There was no party.

Gradient

Just my luck, I was there a year ago.

I met up with DUG.

There was no party.
Sounds like you need another vacation to SD doghead!! The weather is superb right now, the beaches are full of scantily clad women and the beer is always flowing! Oh, and we are one of the largest military cities in 'Merica... just sayin'

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have San Antonio in my sights in a couple weeks.

I did enjoy SD. Even went to the Zoo(looking for living relatives).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks