• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did the CCKW, or M5H6 International have combat rims?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
every M5H6 i have seen or driven since the early 1970's had regular rims .. there was a construction outfit here that had 3 of them and the quarries had some around .. a couple trucks still survive.. i also don't recall any pics of them with combat rims.. i suppose it could've happened in isolated cases, but few and far between .. they certainly were not the norm on M5H6's

Last edited:

2deuce

Thanks guys. So regular Deuce wheels will fit? Will other 20" combat rims fit from either WWII or the M34? For now I want to make a roller possible, but if I come across combat rims that fit, I like that look even if they aren't original.

2deuce

Almost 20 years ago I bought a couple trucks parked on a farm, a CCKW, and a M5H6. Circumstances got in the way, and I never moved them. Really nice people. Finally intend on getting one of them next month. The tires were sun rotting off the wheels back then. It probably will be quite the effort getting one of them on the trailer. I thought a 6 hole Budd wheel would fit, but wanted to be sure. Neither truck has combat rims on it, but I'd like to find a set someday, if they exist. I'm going to concentrate on the M5H6 1st. Everything could be locked up. Even getting the wheels off the hub could be an issue, stuck drums are almost a certainty. I'm not sure what I'm up against with the International design, as it could be unique. I might need to make an inspection trip before I bring a trailer. If dragging is necessary, I've done it before, I just hope it's not every wheel.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost 20 years ago I bought a couple trucks parked on a farm, a CCKW, and a M5H6. Circumstances got in the way, and I never moved them. Really nice people.

No kidding, have you thought about asking them if they'd consider adopting you, or just give you the farm outright so that you don't have to move them at all ??

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with msgjd. 20" M34 Reo combat wheels are not the same as WWII 20" combat wheels used on halftracks M8/M20s etc.
I concur with NDT .. WW2 combat wheels and the 1950s-up combat wheels are not the same animal .. For starters, the WW2 20" standard wheels/rims are narrower than the later wheels/rins

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have extracted CCKWs from 30+ year naps in the woods and usually they roll ok once you pull them loose. That can take massive pulling effort. The IH is a much heavier duty truck than the Jimmy.
They sure are heavier and heavier-duty ! .. Thus rare to see cranes and shovels on the backs of CCKW's but they were out there.. It was a more-common retrofit on war-surplus M5H6's (and heavier 6x6's) for awhile.. Seabee's / USMC had cranes/shovels on M5H6's during the war, even

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to concentrate on the M5H6 1st. Everything could be locked up. Even getting the wheels off the hub could be an issue, stuck drums are almost a certainty. I'm not sure what I'm up against with the International design, as it could be unique. I might need to make an inspection trip before I bring a trailer. If dragging is necessary, I've done it before, I just hope it's not every wheel.
yeah i hear that ! .. For 5 years i have been putting off yanking a 1944 M5H6 that was my friend's grandfather's construction company rig.. Has a Bantam 40ft dragline on its back and has settled to above its axles in clay , sitting since 1985 or so .. Not gonna be fun , even with the M62..

The front axle should come up in one hitch but the rear axles are definitely not going to cooperate with all that extra weight back there.. If i can't get each back corner to dead-lift with the M62, I'm sorta screwed because of the Bantam crane.. If it was a shovel or hoe I could swing-lock the boom perpendicular to the truck and use the tip of the boom as a bar to lift one side at a time out of the ground enough to fill the the ruts under the wheels with blocking..

That leverage move will sure raise hell with the springs and maybe front axle spindles, but I was very successful that same move to recover a couple tracked shovels that had sunk to their crossmembers.. The previous day was wasted on numerous failed attempts to drag them out of the ruts, and failed attempts to dead-lift them one corner at a time.. They were 25-30T machines.. The leverage move popped them out of the ground within minutes, one track at a time..

But skeleton crane booms are very tender compared to a shovel or hoe boom, so I don't think I'm ever gonna try to pull down on one .. If successful getting all the M5H6's wheels up out of the holes, I still doubt it's gonna roll after the lower half of the drums have been underneath hardpan clay for maybe 20 years .. And then truck has to be moved about 15 miles..

So yeah, i am still putting that job off.. My friend is not well and can't even mow his lawn, let alone go outside to enjoy the truck sitting on his lawn where it once did with a couple of its sisters long before it was lawn .... As much as I know he and I would love to see the last of his grandfather's M5H6's come home, I don't think he is gonna live long enough :(

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are using a M62, just rig up a drag winch pull with as many part line as you have snatch blocks for and the truck will pull out. Don’t even try the ridiculous nylon strap jerk pulls you see on u tube.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope your M5H6 (and the CCKW) come out from their "holes" fairly easy.. My subject M5H6 (dragline on its back) is encapsulated 18" deep in (virgin Champlain) hardpan clay .. ;) Might as well be trapped in 18" of cured concrete.

Am not here to hijack your thread but was hoping my situation can generate ideas and present situations to help you and others.. Yours isn't the worst situation and that should be encouraging. There is certainly a solution to the recovery I once had planned, but I no longer have the time nor the help..

If my M62 can't lift the crane truck corner by corner, my Komatsu D53A or a former customer's D7G sure will drag it out .. But being encapsulated 18" deep in virgin Champlain hardpan, things are gonna break, starting with the truck front axle or springs, whichever snaps first. Of course there are ways to literally dig my subject M5H6 out, but I cannot justify what that will entail nor justify more than one day for the task.

None of the drums on this truck are gonna roll when it comes out and probably get torched-in-place someday by someone.. But yours just might roll and go home with you!!! (y) because yours is not in the Champlain valley ! Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought and recovered a Bucyrus 10B shovel long ago .. Fortunately on hard ground but in a stand of poplar and sumac which had grown up around it.. Luckily none of the cables were encapsulated... The only trouble with this move was picking out the "potatoes" caught in the track chain occasionally jamming the rollers and sprocket teeth .. I hope the drums on your trucks will turn , am gunning for ya!

2deuce

No kidding, have you thought about asking them if they'd consider adopting you, or just give you the farm outright so that you don't have to move them at all ??
They had quite a few trucks parked on their farm. When I bought these 2 at least one had been there 10 years already after it had been sold. It may be still there. I was told I can keep it there as long as I wanted. As far as adoption, I think I'm older than they are. Neither of us need adopting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks