• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did the search and have 5ton questions

TacticalDoc

#1 Question I'm thinking ahead about potential problems. Since its automatic the main concern is that I can't PUSH start it. You cant go from neutral to drive and jump start it ... correct? So, if the starter goes I wont be able to use it. If the batteries go I still should be able to hook up my battery charger to my 5K generator and start it up...right? So the batteries and alternator are not important if they break down. But the starter is more important. So if I buy any spare parts it should be a starter first?

Last edited:

TacticalDoc

#2 Question I have searched lockers and I don't think M923s have them. Also I learned that you don't want to weld the spider gears because the truck is heavy and can cause damage to the axle. Also I believe they don't make Air lockers for the 5 tons. So do they make E lockers or is a Detroit locker the only option? And which would be best putting them in one or both rear axles or all 3 axles? I would think e-lockers would be better for the front.

TacticalDoc

Question #3 Since the M923 doesn't have ABS breaks. Can you put it in neutral and then lock the breakes w/o the motor turning of losing power steering? I have read a few posts that suggested this but never got an answer.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can't push start it but you can jump start from another truck with a slave cable. Sometimes I use a pair of 12v jump packs. The solenoid is usually the problem when the starter goes bad you can usually whack it a few times or jump the contacts with a screwdriver to get it going. Some trucks have lockers in the rear axles. Most m923s have abs you can look at the left bottom on the instrument cluster there will be a yellow led. The brakes lock when you pull the brake handle up or just drain the air. No air = locked brakes.

TacticalDoc

You can't push start it but you can jump start from another truck with a slave cable. Sometimes I use a pair of 12v jump packs. The solenoid is usually the problem when the starter goes bad you can usually whack it a few times or jump the contacts with a screwdriver to get it going. Some trucks have lockers in the rear axles. Most m923s have abs you can look at the left bottom on the instrument cluster there will be a yellow led. The brakes lock when you pull the brake handle up or just drain the air. No air = locked brakes.
I mean push start...will change that - thx

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question #3 Since the M923 doesn't have ABS breaks. Can you put it in neutral and then lock the breakes w/o the motor turning of losing power steering? I have read a few posts that suggested this but never got an answer.
Don't know where you got that info. All are supposed to. That's the reason they were retrofitted with ABS, soldiers dying from panic stops and losing power steering.

Artisan

I think I can get a full set of locking rear ends FOB SO Calif. Last I heard they were $1500.00 plus ride.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks