• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Did you lift your bed when you added 16.00's?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In this scenario you're describing, would that limit off-road performance? It really never ceases to amaze me how far these trucks will flex off-road.
No... either travel is limtied by contact with the bed, or by contact with bumpstops. Using the bumpstops as the limiter prevents tires from being shredded.

No bed, or spacer between the frame and the bed will allow additional travel.

Thing is, articulation is but one variable among many. If articulation were the only variable, 11.00's would be the tires of choice....

71DeuceAK

No... either travel is limtied by contact with the bed, or by contact with bumpstops. Using the bumpstops as the limiter prevents tires from being shredded.

No bed, or spacer between the frame and the bed will allow additional travel.

Thing is, articulation is but one variable among many. If articulation were the only variable, 11.00's would be the tires of choice....
Interesting. I feel like I envision some situations where the G177s wouldn't be tall enough to overcome whatever obstacle? (Rock, stump, disabled Prius)? Granted, I realize that's a completely independent or at least quasi-independent variable...

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would be easy enough to lower, but better be stout if your going to use them on a wrecker! I’m thinking their bump-stops maybe setup different with that beam in their suspension? IMG_4124.jpgThis is the front axle of my empty m925 with the back axle hanging just off the ground.IMG_4083.jpg

Last edited:

74M35A2

A camo frame? Styling, bro.

That looks like a middle axle, but I probably have it all wrong. :gimp:

A little dump hoist envy going on over here......

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Camo frame was special order. Front/middle thats the difference between Indiana and Michigan... Yeh, my buddy Cletus didn’t believe that you could run a scissor lift on a 939 without crashing, so I had to do a photo shoot...
Good to see your still “ poking” along...

guyo

Common sense would tell me to lift the bed 2" since you added 4" of tire. Also, since 14.00's rub the bed slightly, how about switching that 1x board that is between bed and rail now, for a 4x4?

I saw a pic from 98G where it was done. Anyone else do it?
I'm going to 16"s and had a similar thought.
My solution (in my head) is to plasma cut my bed and fabricate wheel wells like my pick up under the troop seats. Has anyone tried this?

HN6

My solution (in my head) is to plasma cut my bed and fabricate wheel wells like my pick up under the troop seats. Has anyone tried this?
That will work. You will just loose some of that beautiful flat space in the bed.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter

It's less work and a better outcome to go to a thicker spacer between the bed and the frame, or adjust the bump stops.

Or don't worry about it. You have to twist it up pretty good to get bed contact. A 4' deep ditch between the road and my field isn't sufficient to cause contact with 16.00's and an unmodified truck.

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a pressure treated 4x4 between the bed & frame.
I bolted the board to the frame before installing the bed to ensure it does not move.
IIRC, you have a SWB 818 chassis - are you running a shortened bed?

charlesmann

After reading this yesterday, i was crutching in to the house and looked at my wrecker. There doesnt seem to be a lot of room on the rear axle to bed for 16s. I had 14s on it previously and both rear tires had some chunks taken out and a radial gash in the treads. I now understand what could have caused the damage to the tires.

Here is an 816 with 16s. Not my rig, i borrowed it.

1637124001827.png

Not a lot of room on that right rear tire and wrecker bed. There is a cubby/storage box on both sides, that could probably come out and modify the mud flap support and gain a little more clearance.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
After reading this yesterday, i was crutching in to the house and looked at my wrecker. There doesnt seem to be a lot of room on the rear axle to bed for 16s. I had 14s on it previously and both rear tires had some chunks taken out and a radial gash in the treads. I now understand what could have caused the damage to the tires.

Here is an 816 with 16s. Not my rig, i borrowed it.

View attachment 850945

Not a lot of room on that right rear tire and wrecker bed. There is a cubby/storage box on both sides, that could probably come out and modify the mud flap support and gain a little more clearance.
I've got 16R21s on my 816. They clear well enough to go offroad more than I thought they would. Tires barely squat even when lifting a HET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks