• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel Conditioners for my M923A2 1991

Snowtiger

Hello all I have searched and read as much as possible on this next question now I would like to hear opinions and if you can maybe mention brands. I was curious about our Ultra low sulphur Diesel up here in Canuckistan and was thinking that possibly diesel conditioner may be a good idea for lubricating various parts of the fuel system.

1)Should I use Conditioner
2)How often
3)What brands would you recommend.:driver:
4)Is there a down side besides cost.

Thanks for your assistance once again

JP

Alexsha

A bit of lubricant doesn't hurt. Just about anything else is pointless. Some use motor oil or 2 stroke, some use whatever is at Walmart. I use xdp. It's cheap, you only need a tiny bit per tank, and it lubricates well.

PWM

I have been using Power Service In all my vehicles , from the wife's diesel Volkswagen to my M923A2. I mostly follow the bottles recommendations on when and how much. The down side is the stuff stinks and is hard to wash the smell off if you get it on your skin. Another thing I keep in my trucks a bottle of Power Service Diesel 911, it is used only for gelled up fuel or frozen fuel systems . A few years ago I got some watered down Diesel in my Cummins powered Dodge. It was well below zero and my fuel filter froze up and my truck would barely run, I put in a bottle of Diesel 911 and a short time later my truck was running good as new.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a list somewhere on SS as to the ranking of all addtives. I have used different ones but I myself look for one that says for lubricity and cetane booster.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Back in the day we would pour in a can (yes it came in cans) of automatic transmission fluid about every fourth tank full to lube the injectors. Now I use the Power Service since I don't fill the tank very often. Seems to work pretty good.

plode

Only thing I've put in the tank is Biobor JF, it prevents microbial growth, and it adds a bit of lube for the ultra low sulfur diesel we get now.

Snowtiger

Thank you for all the replies I now have enough information to make some educated choices, not use to so many folks that truly are polite as well as helpful these days. I am glad to be a member here

74M35A2

I don't mean to throw a wrench in the spokes, but I thought and have read that the Power Service stuff is mostly alcohol, in order to absorb the moisture in fuel. In lieu of that, it can actually contribute to injection pump damage by reducing the lubricity of diesel fuel to an even lower value. This is especially the white and red bottles for fighting winter gelling.

This made since to me, and I have quit using it. I just use diesel fuel only. Winter grade in the winter, blah blah blah. Truck starts and runs just as fine without it. Most engine makers will also not recommend any additives. Personally, I believe they just make people feel better. I know I'm against the grain here.

Snowtiger

I hear what your saying but my concern is that the older Diesel engines were built with a higher sulphur content in their fuel. Now that they have taken it out, my concern is that there is less lubricity available. I am no mechanic but its hard to think that older engines are just fine without some kind of after market lubrication. I guess its an issue that could be debated endlessly just like the type of oils to use in the Cummins engine as well. Well I certainly have allot to think about

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks