• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel engine from MEP-006A in a deuce??

miltruckman

Could the diesel engine from a MEP-006A or MEP-015A be used in a deuce? It is a pretty large, counter clockwise rotation engine, under 2000lbs with about 165 HP. I think they run at 1800 RPM in the generator. It might even give the deuce a little more speed.

The big question is, would the bell housing be the same, and would it be too long, or tall?

Anyone out there have a generator you could look at to compare?

Thanks,

Bill

miltruckman

There are a bunch of these engines on GL and I was trying to think of a use for them. They are used in the MEP006A and MEP015A. It would sure be cool if they would fit the deuce.

They don't have a clutch, so that would be tricky. But they are not too far for me to drive over and pick up a couple if they go cheap enough.

Can anyone figure out what the belhousing size is on them. I think they are the Allis Chalmers 3500A engine. I know there are standard belhousing sizes but I don't know what the deuce is? Or the Allis Chalmers engine?

Length, Width, height, etc would be great to know too.

Anyone live close enough to Columbus OH. to want to do an inspection?

Thanks,
Bill

markmontana

I don't think the motors are limited to 1800 RPM's, that is just the optimum setting to run continuously in a generator. So spool up the RPM's for speed.

I think running the muti-fuel engine at 1800 rpm would be perfect and the dang thing would go forever... is that a realistic thought?

tm america

umm if it runs counter clockwise you will have a top speed going backwards of 56 mph and about 5mph going forward so it wont work for you like you want ,sorry .Sounds good on paper but the deuce and most all us built cars and trucks run clockwise rotation.

papercu

Don't know about that engine but I was told most engines like that are industrial engines. The block is made different and couldn't be bolted to a transmission. Wayne

wdbtchr

umm if it runs counter clockwise you will have a top speed going backwards of 56 mph and about 5mph going forward so it wont work for you like you want ,sorry .Sounds good on paper but the deuce and most all us built cars and trucks run clockwise rotation.
Turn the engine around? I actually saw this done once, very strange.:shock:

tm america

Any engine can be hooked to any trans you just have to make an adapter like i did on my tractor to put te mercedes diesel in there Counter clockwise rotation is a way bigger problem to deal with .ya you could flip all there diffs ,remake the steering linkage ,driveshafts ,try to deal with the horrible drive line angles you would end up with . but is it really worth it for 40 hp . when you could just turn up the fuel or swap in a cummins or other motor that rotates the right way

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks