• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel Fuel Additive

dogfishtroop

What is best fuel additive to prevent slimming and discoloration of diesel fuel? I have a half tank of 2 month old fuel that has turned green from clear and has clogged my M35a3 pump and filter.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
How much fuel does She burn in a month, what flavor engine is it, and search within SS is your friend.
Regular old pump 'new flavor" diesel needs something added as that is for new vehicles, not 50 year old engines.

dogfishtroop

How much fuel does She burn in a month, what flavor engine is it, and search within SS is your friend.
Regular old pump 'new flavor" diesel needs something added as that is for new vehicles, not 50 year old engines.
My 35a3 has the Cat 316 diesel and only drive around a little each month since no shows or parades so have burned about 10 gallons in last two months. Fuel was clear when purchased.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel fuel algaecide for microbes. There is also Asphaltenes and that is the black taffy looking stuff that will gather in the bottom of the tank. Product FuelOx for Asphaltenes will help. Just went to a friends house that has an LMTV and some starting problems. I took off the fuel tank fill cap and started to put my hand in tank. He looked at me kinda funny till I pulled out a finger full of black taffy from the bottom of the tank.

fleetmech

It would appear you have an "algae bloom", which is a microbial growth that thrives in Diesel fuel. Unfortunately, a cleaning of the tank and load of fresh treated fuel is the only way to really clear it up. Dumping in a heavy 'shock' treatment of Biocide will kill many of the 'bugs' but may not give you the results you want. Firstly, killing the bugs does not remove their mass from the tank, so even after death they will continue to plug filters and pumps until fully cleaned out. Secondly, Diesel algae is absolutely insidious. It will live in the crevices in the tank and, if there is enough in there, may avoid the biocide and start growing again.

Drain the tank completely, If you can remove the tank, so much the better. Flush everything possible (sludge, solids, bacterial mass) out of the tank. Flush with either heavily treated Diesel, or gasoline. Remove and discard all fuel filters, then disconnect all the fuel line connections you can and blow/ flush everything out. Reassemble everything, then fill up with fuel treated at the "shock" dosage and get her running again. Drive it several times (dont let it sit for days if at all possible), then change the fuel filters again to remove remaining sediment/ organisms. If everything appears good, keep the tank topped off to avoid condensation buildup, and continue using biocide at the regular use dosage for as long as possible.

Ive used BioBor and Power Service brands before, but there are others that probably work fine too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks