• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

diesel fuel additive

TMNT

So if its -10 degree's out side - and you are hauling 55 mph - whats the windchill factor on the tanks.

I know if you lick your finger and then stick it out the window it will freeze quicker.
Windchill factor approximates how cold it feels on your skin. Wind doesn't actually lower the temperature. -10 degrees is -10 degrees with or without wind as far as its effect on inanimate objects.

When you lick your finger and then put it in the wind, you're feeling the effects of evaporative cooling. As the liquid evaporates in the breeze, it takes heat with it causing your finger to feel cooler.

Evaporative cooling can cool an object to be be colder than the ambient air temperature, but only if there is a steady supply of just the right amount of moisture and continuous evaporation. Otherwise, once an object has reached the same temperature as the ambient air temp, wind won't make it any colder.

Gunner0311

Sulfur?

I seems like the price jump happened just about the time our wonderfull EPA decided the world would end if the sulfur smell continued to spew from our exhaust pipes?

The forced the refineries to process the fuel with much lower sulfur emissions and
BOOM!, the prices jumped like crazy.

I just get a warm feeling just thinking about the EPA. Can you feel the love?

Oh boy! The warm feeling I am getting is the hot rod they are probing my lower
body cavity with......:evil:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Windchill factor approximates how cold it feels on your skin. Wind doesn't actually lower the temperature. -10 degrees is -10 degrees with or without wind as far as its effect on inanimate objects.

When you lick your finger and then put it in the wind, you're feeling the effects of evaporative cooling. As the liquid evaporates in the breeze, it takes heat with it causing your finger to feel cooler.

Evaporative cooling can cool an object to be be colder than the ambient air temperature, but only if there is a steady supply of just the right amount of moisture and continuous evaporation. Otherwise, once an object has reached the same temperature as the ambient air temp, wind won't make it any colder.

Darn, you beat me to it. I was going to post the same explanation but yours was excellent.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I start to add a fuel conditioner for the gelling problem whenever the temperature gets below 32 degrees. Have never had a truck of mine that I have maintained have a gelling problem doing the 32 degree conditioner add program. I use either power service white or stanadyne purple. Am using more stanadyne lately because it takes less to treat the fuel.

I did recover a M35A2 from Ft. McCoy in February once when the temp that morning was -15 degrees. It still had summer fuel in it. After all 3 filters were changed and power service red was added it started.........4 hours later that is. I do not want to do that again.

Last edited:

Bighurt

speaking of Diesel,
Diesel is the junk that is left when making gas. It used to be at least a dollar a gallon less than gas.
Why is it that now it is a dollar a gallon more than gas? Oil companies sticking it to us again?
Anyone know the reason?
Supply and demand, more demand for Diesel. And naturally less of it than Gasoline. Frankly prices will never fall down again because they know we will pay for it.

Gas is a surplus right now.

As to Gelling I use Stanadyne in the Ford after having issues with both Howes and Power service. Right now the Mil trucks have the leftovers. Next year however I'll only be ordering a case of Stanadyne.

A nice thing Stanadyne does is provide smaller bottles for single shot's I use the 60 gallon in the Ford, 67 gallon tank. But it's chearper to buy four Gallons and just refill the shots when they go empty. With the bigger trucks I can just add 60 gallons when I fuel, except the M35.

Iceman3005

How do you know that your fuel has gelled? Can you see it in the tank or your driving along an it just sputters to a stop? Never experienced it so just wondering.
When my semi gelled up I stuck a short rod in the tank, it was like jello in the fridge! Can't see the fuel in the pickup though. If you were driving along and it gelled truck would probably stall before it got to a gelled state, the filter would get clogged as the fuel got thicker.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
speaking of Diesel,
Diesel is the junk that is left when making gas. It used to be at least a dollar a gallon less than gas.
Why is it that now it is a dollar a gallon more than gas? Oil companies sticking it to us again?
Anyone know the reason?

thats because the U.S. Gov has put stricter emission standards for diesel fuel and engines... Hint (ULSD) Ultra-low-sulfur diesel to lower emissions

so it costs more for refineries to make it and we the people take a arrow in the knee because of it ( higher prices at the pump)

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesel fuel additive

Hi All,
I live in the Indy area and had a mechanic tell me I could add 1 gallon of gasoline to a full tank of diesel to help with cold starts and clean the fuel system. Right now I use Power Service 1080-06 +Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Supplement Anti-Freezer. I use 1 oz per 3 gallons of gas. Just wondered if anyone else has done that?

He also mentioned I can buy a different cheaper diesel fuel rather than at a gas station. Anyone done that before?
Thanks

1) You don't want to add gasoline to your engine;
2) Diesel 911 anti gel works;
3) A lot of people put some 2 stroke oil in their tank; and
4) Don't get caught with red diesel in your tank.

tourus

yea I don't think I would put gas in my tank. I have heard of it before but I won't try it. I have heard it will help out in power a bit.. sort of like running high octane race fuel. as far as winter fuel and conditioner I would say a real reputable fuel stop with good winter blend you will be all set to about 10 degrees. I don't add any thing until below 0 degree then only if if it is going to be like 20-30 below for a few days .. I use the truck every day so.

tbearatkin

I have only added gasoline to my diesel by mistake and then had it towed home to siphon the 15 gallons back out. I am sure some was left in but did recover almost 25 gallons of mix out. The only additive I put in on purpose is Sea Foam. A proper starting system (glow plugs working) usually does not need special additives for starting. I have no issues with my M1009 starting with temp down to 17 degrees. Gasoline was an old time fix before winter blends were introduced into diesel fuel.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a gallon or two in a full tank will not hurt

We would add some gas to our helos during Arctic operations and it did just fine

Would only raise the EGT 2-3 degrees, if that.

Running with the anti-ice system on raised it more than that

apples to oranges but you get the idea

It doesn't get cold enough in Oklahoma very often for me to add
some to my MV's.
But wouldn't think twice about

cucvrus

DO NOT ADD GASOLINE. If it was to get a full swig of gas all ell could break loose. Use the power source and be happy with that. If it gets that cold that you need to add gas stay home the trucks not going to start anyway.

Last edited:

61sleepercab

Howes treatment and one quart of bargain brand ATF in 20 gallons of fuel gave friends Dodge powered Cummings 5 mpg better fuel mileage per gallon. VW mechanical manuals allowed 10% gasoline mix with fuel when below freezing. I had a VW gel up when cold and it would only idle until I added the gs mix which cut the gel.Mark

the skull

I use the gray diesel kleen in the warm weather.
I use the white diesel kleen in the cold weather.
2 stroke TCW-3 year round.
Sometimes I have leftover atf I drop in there

archmark

I use Amsoil Diesel Cetane Boost and their combo Diesel Injector Clean + Cold Flow. It's starting to get down into the 30's around here, so the Cold Flow is cheap insurance. Of course, I guess in the multi-fuel I could pretty much throw any thing petroleum based in the tank...

I run cummins powered sno cats. To prevent gelling howes works best. If gelled, red power service and half a gallon of premium, then I mix it around with a stick. It has worked down to -35

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DO NOT ADD GASOLINE. If it was to get a full swig of gas all ell could break loose. Use the power source and be happy with that. If it gets that cold that you need to add gas stay home the trucks not going to start anyway.

Kinda hard to get a full swig when it's only one, maybe two gallons diluted within 20 or so
Mixed like that works fine
I wouldn't go anymore than that

It works in a $16 million dollar helo
it will work in a $6k truck

The additives mentioned work just
fine also
I personally run seafoam and 2 cycle oil

but I understand why most are weary of the gas

To each his own

prairie

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks