• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

diesel fuel additive

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all. Don't think I'll do it from all the comments. I'll just keep using Power Service 1080-06 +Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Supplement Anti-Freezer that the owners of it before was using. 1 oz of it per 3 gallons of fuel.

saddamsnightmare

January 1st, 2016

Adding gasoline to a 6.5 GMC diesel in a CUCV is not a wise thing to do, as the engine was not designed for it. Even in the multifuels the use of gasoline was not generally encouraged, and then not above 25% of the fuel load. My experience was that it would clean the multifuel out, but there was a considerable loss of power due to it not being a heavy oil (like diesel) and it made it sluggish to fire off in cold weather.

Diesels depend on compression for ignition, and gasoline tends to pre detonate, losing power from the engine as it is beginning ignition before it is designed to do so.:confused:

N.B. The helo's a turbine engine, the CUCV's not, so there is no comparison on the behavior of gasoline in a diesel to gasoline in a turbo.:shock:

CUCVLOVER

In my Cucv I use power service white bottle in the winter. I have heard of the use of kerosene but never gas. In a extreme emergency I might use a little gas in a very small ratio. As far as when to use anti gel, I go by this. If you are worried about your house water pipes if you don't leave a little water trickling then add some anti gel.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A small percentage of gas in a tank of diesel does not hurt anything. It stays mixed so you don't have to worry about getting any straight gas in the engine.

A friend has a car repair shop and has had numerous gas cars come in with diesel added to the fuel tank. His girl friend was Vietnamese and didn't read English very well and turns out a lot of her friends and family didn't either! If they stopped in front of the diesel pump, that's what went in the tank. He drains them out and calls me. To date I have put Vietnamese diesel in every MV I've owned and my F350.

I figure there is probably 2~3 gallons of gas in 12~15 gallons total each time. I add this to a larger tank of diesel and I can't tell any difference in performance.

rustystud

Kinda hard to get a full swig when it's only one, maybe two gallons diluted within 20 or so
Mixed like that works fine
I wouldn't go anymore than that

It works in a $16 million dollar helo
it will work in a $6k truck

The additives mentioned work just
fine also
I personally run seafoam and 2 cycle oil

but I understand why most are weary of the gas

To each his own
First off "Helos" don't run diesel engines. There turbines, different beast. Second most gasoline today is mixed with alcohol which absorbs water. Again not good for diesel engines. I use "Opti-Lube" additive. It is considered the very best diesel engine additive out there. The tests prove it. For storage I use "Pri-D" additive. Again one of the very best storage additives.
One thing that no one mentions is that diesel fuel is also a lubricant. It keeps the injection pump and injectors lubed. Gasoline has NO lubricating qualities at all.

Ue413

To add to the cheaper diesel comment....you can buy dyed diesel, which is sold for off-road use only (farmers are the typical users). In Missouri, last time I bought it ( when diesel was $3 / gallon), I believe it was about $.25 cheaper. It is cheaper due to not having all taxes applied to it.

it is dyed red, and if you are caught with it in an on-road vehicle, you will not have saved any money.

cucvrus

Hey add what ever you want to yours. I added about 2 gallons of gas once by accident at a Speedway station. I had a helper with me and he thought he was helping put the fuel nozzle in and fill it up for me while I was in pre-paying. When I came out I caught it or I was ready to get the paddles out. I was up the creek. It was only 2 gallons and it was about -10 and I shut the M1009 off and filled it with diesel and added a qt of ATF to help out lubing. Being I was hundreds of miles from home and the fuel would all be burned up in a few hours anyway I traveled with no worries. The last 3 months I have been burning contaminated diesel fuel from a trucking company. They like that I take it cause they were paying someone to take it before i started using it. I have had no adverse conditions from burning it. It is is opaque plastic skid containers and I add a gallon of Power Source to it and it seems to be fine. Free fuel whats there to not like. It is just a CUCV nothing fancy about that engine. I have the original fuel system and filter and the bottom of the storage container has nothing visibly in it. Most of the contaminated fuel is coming out of trucks that had leaking fuel tanks or the on board computer on 2016 Freightliners says water in fuel. They drain them and dispose of the fuel. I have no water in fuel light illuminated in my vehicles. Easy come easy go. It's an environmental duty to dispose of contaminated fuel in a safe and positive way. The pump I have has a filter and water separator so I will burn it forever at this rate. Road Trip.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off "Helos" don't run diesel engines. There turbines, different beast. Second most gasoline today is mixed with alcohol which absorbs water. Again not good for diesel engines. I use "Opti-Lube" additive. It is considered the very best diesel engine additive out there. The tests prove it. For storage I use "Pri-D" additive. Again one of the very best storage additives.
One thing that no one mentions is that diesel fuel is also a lubricant. It keeps the injection pump and injectors lubed. Gasoline has NO lubricating qualities at all.

You totally missed the point

Last edited:

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll just stay with the diesel you buy from the gas stations and the additive that the previous owner was using.

I am thinking about trying some of the different types of fuel alternatives. ie vegetable oil and the like. I know that's a different topic but wondered what you all thought about that too?

rustystud

Hey add what ever you want to yours. I added about 2 gallons of gas once by accident at a Speedway station. I had a helper with me and he thought he was helping put the fuel nozzle in and fill it up for me while I was in pre-paying. When I came out I caught it or I was ready to get the paddles out. I was up the creek. It was only 2 gallons and it was about -10 and I shut the M1009 off and filled it with diesel and added a qt of ATF to help out lubing. Being I was hundreds of miles from home and the fuel would all be burned up in a few hours anyway I traveled with no worries. The last 3 months I have been burning contaminated diesel fuel from a trucking company. They like that I take it cause they were paying someone to take it before i started using it. I have had no adverse conditions from burning it. It is is opaque plastic skid containers and I add a gallon of Power Source to it and it seems to be fine. Free fuel whats there to not like. It is just a CUCV nothing fancy about that engine. I have the original fuel system and filter and the bottom of the storage container has nothing visibly in it. Most of the contaminated fuel is coming out of trucks that had leaking fuel tanks or the on board computer on 2016 Freightliners says water in fuel. They drain them and dispose of the fuel. I have no water in fuel light illuminated in my vehicles. Easy come easy go. It's an environmental duty to dispose of contaminated fuel in a safe and positive way. The pump I have has a filter and water separator so I will burn it forever at this rate. Road Trip.
No one is saying that a little gasoline will hurt your diesel engine, what I was commenting on is using gasoline on a regular basis as an additive. As far as getting free fuel goes all I can say is "Score" !!!

JohnnyBM931A2

I'm going to go ahead and try the Opti-Lube. My 5 ton has been starting fine thus far, even down to 10 or 15 degrees, but it wouldn't hurt to start adding some to the tank. I took a look at the link that was posted.. Seems like good stuff. Can you buy it in any of the parts stores, or is it an online-only deal?

forest522

Chiming in here to support you Johnny B...look at the Opti-Lube XPD gallon with accessories on ..mazon.com Pretty good deal for as long as it lasts. I've had my first gallon for just over a year and drive my rig two to three times a week and on long trips to the mountains at least monthly. Since using Opti-lube, I have noticed an increase in pep, it has definitely started to clean up the tank (I have had to change filters three times this year) and there is nearly no smoke at all. She is a little quieter too - testified by the wife!

So, two thumbs up, great for your engine, far better additive than many...or just stick with two stroke oil!!

Cheers

rustystud

I'm going to go ahead and try the Opti-Lube. My 5 ton has been starting fine thus far, even down to 10 or 15 degrees, but it wouldn't hurt to start adding some to the tank. I took a look at the link that was posted.. Seems like good stuff. Can you buy it in any of the parts stores, or is it an online-only deal?
I have not seen it at any parts store, so I guess the best way would be online like "forest522" posted. I bought all mine online.

cucvrus

No one is saying that a little gasoline will hurt your diesel engine, what I was commenting on is using gasoline on a regular basis as an additive. As far as getting free fuel goes all I can say is "Score" !!!

No I was not supporting the use of gasoline. I sat on egg shells the whole time I drove that day. If a stone hit the floor pan and made a noise I thought the engine came apart. I ask my friend to stick to
navigating and I would be the mechanic and refuel the vehicle and check the fluids. He also open the radiator cap during this trip while I was in the restroom. Trying to help out of course. So I am with you no gasoline for me. The free fuel was contaminated because a driver added DEF to the fuel tank when he was filling at a truck stop.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truckers in the high sulfur #2 diesel era used 10% gasoline in their diesel to prevent gelling without any problems. This was because the sulfur in the diesel provided enough lubrication for everything to work ok. If #1 diesel (similar to kerosene) was available that was a better choice in cold weather. If you add 10% present day dry gasoline to dry (ulsd) diesel you need to add more lubrication than is already necessary for just ulsd alone. So why not just use a premium diesel additive of your choosing to prevent gelling and provide lubrication and be good to your diesel system and your engine?

I would never want to add urea fertilizer or water to my diesel in anything and that is what DEF is. It is a solution of 32.5% high purity urea mixed with very high purity water. Urea is an organic nitrogen containing compound used in agriculture as a fertilizer.

The message by the fuel caps on a lot of machinery is good advice: Buy clean diesel and keep it clean!

shotty

I use stanadyne lubricity formula because it's cheap and a little goes a long ways. It's also approved by VW for use in my car so that's a factor as well. Honestly though, if I could get 100% biodiesel I would run a 2% mix of that with every fill up. It beats out all the additives as far as lubricity goes.