• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel fuel gelling

IMA944T

Her in Oklahoma the weather is getting cold and it's going to be around zero degrees. At what temp do you or should you put stuff into the fuel so it doesn't gell??? And what are the best? I have been running Diesel Kleen in the fuel for couple tanks.

IMA944T

Whats Power Service?
So if I add about 3 gallons of gas to tank od diesel that is really all it needs to keep it from gelling? Does it start any better with the more flamable gas in the fuel. i have to cold start kit also.

southdave

gasoline and kerosene have lower gell point silly 40 below they use AVgas to diesel . use prem. less water no alcohol is best, I would check my percentages but that stick out in my head.

Last edited:

coyotegray

Her in Oklahoma the weather is getting cold and it's going to be around zero degrees. At what temp do you or should you put stuff into the fuel so it doesn't gell??? And what are the best? I have been running Diesel Kleen in the fuel for couple tanks.
I use Power Service "Diesel Fuel Supplement - White Bottle" in the winter to prevent gelling... Works great for me... In the summer I use the Diesel Kleen "Silver Bottle"...

Power Service Products, diesel fuel additives, prevent gelling, clean injectors, disperse water, boost cetane, reduce emissions, improve fuel economy

Wal-Mart has it.....

ETA - I keep a bottle of Diesel 911 on hand just in case...

Andy..

SasquatchSanta

Keep the water out of your primary fuel filter is also a wise thing to do in cold weather.

With the engine off turn the Aux switch on so the in-tank puel pump is working. Then climb under and open the pet-cock on the fuel filter to purge the water.

If you're not already doing so, keeping your air tanks purged is also wise in the winter.

Westech

CPL
you do know that diesel wont jell until 30* below or colder right? I have lived in WI for 30 years and it gets 40-50 below air temp and my diesel has never gelled. I do use heat to remove the water but nothing else in the fuel.

dittle

Assuming you're talking about diesel that is out of the pumps on a regular basis and not something that has been sitting with "summer" diesel doesn't WI blend their fuel in the cold months like MN has to by law? I have seen summer diesel gel at 10 degrees (Grandfather's tractor) but have never seen anything that has been mixed. Bio-diesel gels even faster (ask the farmer who share crops my Grandfather's land).

NMC_EXP

you do know that diesel wont jell until 30* below or colder right? I have lived in WI for 30 years and it gets 40-50 below air temp and my diesel has never gelled. I do use heat to remove the water but nothing else in the fuel.
During my truck stop pump jockey days in the 70's, on a -15 F day the #2 fuel gelled in the pumps. The #1 Diesel was still pumping, until we ran out.

Lot of trucks stalled on Rte 66 and in the parking lot that day.

These days I think the suppliers do a much better job providing a good winter blend #2.

Regards

Jim

2027Deuce

Jim I think you are correct, I too have noticed #2 diesel not gelling as easy. I use power service when the temp starts dropping and cut #1 diesel in when it gets below 10. I have one M35 that starts on straight #2 below zero because I didn't get to it one year but usually I do, its alot cheaper to treat the fuel before you have a problem so I have just made a habit of treating and then not worry about it.

91W350

This time of year, about every year, we will find several trucks on I135 that bought Texas fuel and are gelled up. They come out of the warm south with full tanks of #2 and when they get cold enough up here, their party is over. I have not seen any this year, but I have not been out there cruising north and south like usual. I would imagine if we get that -10 degrees Friday they are talking about, we will have some victims. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks