• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel Fuel Grade Translation

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
MOGAS..........gasoline (so named because it cost MO than diesel :D)

Diesel fuel......diesel fuel, will run most military vehicles and equipment.

JP-anything....aircraft or turbine engine fuel....can be used in diesels but needs additional lube.

Bio-fuel.........so called "Green fuel" purchased by the gooberment to satisfy the environmental whackos.....usually results in major damage to critical parts at the most inopportune times.

SMOKEWAGON66

Well as far as I know pretty much all diesel available in the civilian market at the pump is DF-2 with is the equivalent of F-54 NATO...All these numbers are the same fuel, just a different name. DF-1 is clear diesel used in cold weather enviroments. Also, JP-8 is as close to diesel as you can get. I forget whats different about it, less oil or something. I burn DF-2 ( Diesel no. 2) in my truck. I will burn JP-8 if i can get some.

Basically, the stuff you can buy at the pump down at the ARCO on the corner is the exact same fuel that the military uses too.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys.

I was asking because while the truck will reside in SoCal with temperatures normally well above 40 deg's. F, where I live it has snowed every winter for the last five years (global warming, I know). I also realize this is still not very cold to most of the rest of the U.S., I am also somewhat anal about following manufacturer's specs.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wikipedia
Diesel Winter Grade
[FONT=&quot]United States[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the United States the states do not have a legislation on a fixed time frame when winter diesel must meet a specific temperature characteristics. The ASTM D 975 standard does not specify a specific value for the cold flow requirements of diesel fuel. Instead, it suggests that one measure the cloud point to be no more than 6°C higher than the 10th percentile minimum ambient temperature for the month the fuel will be used. The 10th percentile temperature corresponds to the minimum temperature that would be reached no more than 3 days out of 30 for the month (decile). The ASTM D 975 contains overview maps that show the expected tenth percentile temperature for every month for each state.[34][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As with these guidelines gas stations offer winter diesel ready for the road - there are two ways to achieve this:[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]winter blend - the gas station has blended the No.2 diesel with No.1 kerosine by some percentage.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]winterized diesel - the No.2 diesel has been treated with additives by the diesel supplier.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As the treatment with additives is a cheaper way (1:40000[35]) to enhance No.2 fuel in winter most stations offer winterized diesel in cold weather conditions. In regions with cold weather in winter, most gas stations offer No.1 fuel at the same pump allowing drivers to decide for themselves on a matching winter blend.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Operation[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Diesel fuel is prone to waxing or gelling in cold weather; both are terms for the solidification of diesel oil into a partially crystalline state. Below the Cloud Point the fuel begins to develop solid wax particles giving it a cloudy appearance. The presence of solidified waxes thickens the oil and clogs fuel filters and injectors in engines. The crystals build up in the fuel line (especially in fuel filters) until a point that the engine gets starved of fuel causing it to stop running.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Cold Filter Plugging Point (CFPP) is based on a standardized test that indicates the lowest temperature of diesel fuel to still pass through a standardized filtration device in a specified time when cooled under certain condition. Similarly the "Low Temperature Flow Test" (ASTM D4539[1]) indicates the winter performance of diesel with improver additives. Note that both the CFPP and LTFT temperature is some degrees above the Pour Point temperature when diesel fuel loses its fluid characteristics so that pumps would stop operating.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There are a number of counter measures available to allow diesel engines to continue to operate in cold weather conditions. Note that once the diesel motor car is started it may operate at temperatures below the CFPP - most engines have a spill return system, by which any excess fuel from the injector pump and injectors is returned to the fuel tank. Once the engine has warmed, returning warm fuel prevents waxing in the tank.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also: Diesel Fuel Basics (somewhat scientific)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.fuelmanagement.com/pdf/Diesel_Fuel_Basics.pdf

And: NATO Fuels
http://www.nato.int/docu/logi-en/1997/lo-15a.htm

[/FONT]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks