• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diesel heater vs. coolant heater

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Benmar heaters I have that will replace the hot water heaters on my trucks have a different ignition system on them, as Bjorn has related, and possibly different control valves, but I have not gotten into them to be able to comment. Bjorn would possibly be able to relate more about this to us.
Regards Marti
Right, the Benmars don't use a wick. The ignitor is located within the ceramic vaporizer and the ignition takes place over a larger area.
The fuel control valve is of a different brand, but works pretty much the same way the SW does.

Personally, I will keep biodiesel/veggie oil and other alternate fuel away from the heaters. A contaminated wick and/or vaporizer would likely create some problems.

Attachments

Last edited:

DOCUSN1

I dont have a fuel fired heater but I do have a coolant heater in my m818 and I dont think there worth a hoot I just drove from Dogheads house to mine in a snowstorm last friday dont get me wrong it did take the edge off but it was cold out took me eight hours to get 180 miles I would go with the fuel burner Mark

beck

What do they look like installed?

Please excuse my stupidity. I'm really new to all this. I have been considering purchasing a deuce from GL or a bobed deuce from one of a few here that are for sale. I hate being cold so a fuel fired heater sounds like what I need. I don't believe any of the guys from here that I have PMed have them. When looking at the GL site I have seen several deuces that apparently have no heater. Others obviously have water heat. I can see the water lines. Some I don't know what they have since I see no coolant lines. I'm guessing these are still coolant heaters but the lines are under the unit. I see the Southwind is round so this isn't one of them. What is it?

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Standard hot water heater. The radiator is in that box and the hot air is ducted in the firewall by the steering wheel.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Beck:
The square box on the driver side is the hot water heater as Gimpyrobb said. Another indication a truck has a hot water heater in it is there is an air scoop on the front of the driver's side engine compartment drop panel that is between the hood and fender.
The heater box has a vent fitting on the top of it that looks like a radiator drain. This is to vent any air that might have gotten trapped in the heater. This air bubble can impede water flow, causing reduced heater efficiency. It is a good idea, with the truck running and at operating temp, to open this valve to be sure any air is purged from the heater. This might help a heater that seems to be inadequate, but even then they are no foot roaster!!
Regards Marti

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SAFETY NOTE:
I work on this stuff so much sometimes the obvious to me does not get mentioned. When opening the air vent on the heater if the truck is at operating temp, be careful of hot coolant. Open it slowly with your face and other exposed skin away from any coolant that might emerge under pressure. Crack it open very slowly!
Regards Marti

Hammer

For the coolant heater.
Move the entire setup into the cab.
The stock setup is always bringing in fresh air, which is always colder.
Having it inside will recirculate the air and make a difference.
NOTHING like the fuel fired heaters of course. But more then the stock setup.

Besides, it's not like we don't have enough 'fresh air' blowing into our trucks at most times anyways ;)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the M35A3, the heater was moved inside the cab. I did not know why, although I assumed it had to do with space under the hood. Now, I believe it might have been for the reason that HAMMER mentions.

Hammer

If you get a little creative you can use the stock flap that controls the air flow into the cab, and make that a 'valve' for recirc or fresh air.

res0wc18

so was/is stewart warner the supplier for the diesel fired heaters?

I have been looking at the heater made from them and more recently these guys http://www.espar.com/ they have some quality looking stuff. They have some personnel heaters that put out so much heat I'm pretty sure it would melt the rubber on the inside of the cab of even a crew cab duece! 115000 BTU's!

How much are the true complete arctic kits anyways? What about just the heater?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You must not be looking at pictures. The standard fuel fired cab heater is 30kbtu. There is a 60kbtu heater, but that will not fit in a cab. The heater you are looking at must be for a tent.