• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Diff fluid change - gaskets?

realm

Planning to change the diff fluid on my new 09 as I'm not sure when the last time it was done.

Planning to use Lucas 80/90 or Mobile 1 synthetic, both of which should have the additive.

Are there gaskets for these diffs? If so, what do I need to tell autozone or napa to lookup. I wasn't sure if it's exactly the same diffs as a civy '85 Blazer with 6.2L or if mil changed something.

Thank you.

davo727

If you dont mind waiting a little while for the sealant to set some you dont need a gasket. Just use permatex ultra black sealant. I let mine sit for the afternoon and set up before I refill the fluid. Dave

ragedracer

No gaskets here either. Permatex Red ultra temp. I let it set up for about 30 minutes. Put a solid line around the cover and encircle every hole. I then put it on the diff, torqued it down just till the permatex started squishing out. Let it set up another hour, then cranked it down the rest of the way. No leaks in ~3 months so far.

AJMBLAZER

I normally use the silicone like they recommend but I have heard about some new gaskets. Supposed to be able to maintain a seal even if the cover gets shifted by an impact. I'm tempted by them when I get my HD diff covers for Big Ugly. If I put the stock covers back on I'll just silicone it and wait until I get my big covers.

LubeLocker Gaskets

EDIT-whoops, looks like they don't offer anything for GM axles yet.

Last edited:

Croatan_Kid

I always use gaskets with Ultra Black RTV on both sides. It keeps the gasket from sticking to the housing or the cover and just gives me warm fuzzies about it not leaking. I hate leaks. I also use the black to it's a little less noticable, I always see the red on rear diffs of trucks riding around and it just looks like poo. :roll: Of course, if you don't go overboard with it, it won't be noticed at all.

HeadWizard

We use Ultra Black on all the diff services we do in the shop. Very rarely do we use gaskets any more. I can't remember when one has EVER come back leaking. Probably don't wait 10 minutes before refilling with gear oil. Mobil1 recommended.