• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference between M928A2 and a M35A3?

dcwilkie

Just browsing around and found what I thought was an M35A3, but is actually called an M928A2.
The M928A2 looks longer and is 5 ton. Is that all there is to it :?:

The M-939 Series 5-ton, 6x6 truck design was created by AM General Corp. who also built the M939 and M939A1 trucks. The M939A2 trucks, delivered starting in 1989, were produced by Bowen-McLaughlin-York.
The major improvements of the M939 Series vehicles over the M809 Series vehicles are as follows:
  • Allison automatic transmission
  • Improved power steering system
  • Complete air brake system
  • Improved cooling system
  • Improved electrical system
  • Cab for three crew members
  • Tilt hood
  • Hydraulically powered front winch
  • STE/ICE engine diagnostic system

M813A1

The bad things is the government is having more problems with those electric truck then they had with the older M809 , M35 M39 series of trucks which were simpler and more reliable !! A funny thing happened at the Edmond Ok. 4th of July Parade staging area , I was talking with a active duty Colonel and he told me he would rather have the our older trucks, then having the newer problematic FMTV's built by Stewart Stevenson trucks !! I guess it is technology at it best !! What ever happened to simpler is better ??

Last edited:

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
The bad things is the government is having more problems with those electric truck then they had with the older M809 , M35 M39 series of trucks which were simpler and more reliable !! A funny thing happened at the Edmond Ok. 4th of July Parade staging area , I was talking with a active duty Colonel and he told me he would rather have the our older trucks, then having the newer problematic FMTV's built by Stewart Stevenson trucks !! I guess it is technology at it best !! What ever happened to simpler is better ??
someone in washington(years ago) decided the epa should have authority over the department of defense.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There really is almost nothing in common between the M44A3 and the M939A2 series. They are almost completely different. Sure, there are commonalities...reflectors, composite lights, head lights, side marker lights, doors...and probably a few more. Name something else and it is different. I am not sure why you chose to compare these otherwise incomparable trucks. Let me start the list...

*different motor
*different chassis
*different transmission (although both are Allison automatics)
*different CTIS
*different axles
*different braking systems
*different seats
*different cab tops (whether soft top or hard top)
*different sheet metal (except for doors as mentioned above)
*the list goes on and on.

dcwilkie

There really is almost nothing in common between the M44A3 and the M939A2 series. They are almost completely different. Sure, there are commonalities...reflectors, composite lights, head lights, side marker lights, doors...and probably a few more. Name something else and it is different. I am not sure why you chose to compare these otherwise incomparable trucks. Let me start the list...

*different motor
*different chassis
*different transmission (although both are Allison automatics)
*different CTIS
*different axles
*different braking systems
*different seats
*different cab tops (whether soft top or hard top)
*different sheet metal (except for doors as mentioned above)
*the list goes on and on.
Being still new to this game, the M35A3 (not the A2) and this M928A2 look alot alike to me. They both have wheels n stuff and make alot of noise. :-D
All I really wanted to know was about the wheelbase length. Is the M928A2 longer than the M35A3 :?: I'm not comparing them at all- not trying to find out which one is better. Guess I'll just get on Bing and find out... shoulda' done that in the 1st place.

Wolf.Dose

The M35 A3 is a M35A2 with a new instument cluster comprising a tachogarph instead the standard speedometer and tachometer and some minor other modifications. (The history on these trucks can bee seen on trucks beeing rebuilt to the latest standard here in Europe. You will see any step of modification on them.) This is for these vehicles are related to the Driving time limitations in Europe, which have to be recorded by a built in self writing device.(Not like in the states by a book of the driver were he lists it driving time and working time and so forth.)
The M9xx series has very little in common with the M35/44 series of trucks. The first are of a 1990's design, the later are based on a 1950's design (so called REO's, at least on this side of the Atlantic river).
Wolf

dcwilkie

The M35 A3 is a M35A2 with a new instument cluster comprising a tachogarph instead the standard speedometer and tachometer and some minor other modifications. (The history on these trucks can bee seen on trucks beeing rebuilt to the latest standard here in Europe. You will see any step of modification on them.) This is for these vehicles are related to the Driving time limitations in Europe, which have to be recorded by a built in self writing device.(Not like in the states by a book of the driver were he lists it driving time and working time and so forth.)
The M9xx series has very little in common with the M35/44 series of trucks. The first are of a 1990's design, the later are based on a 1950's design (so called REO's, at least on this side of the Atlantic river).
Wolf
See? Now, this is why I'm mixed up. On GL they call a 2.5 ton truck that has a Cummings Diesel, the in-cab tire inflation system, automatic x-mission, power steering, the latest style of front clip and the "super singles" an M35A3. So that's really an M9xx series?

The M35A3 did not have a Cummins engine, it uses the Cat 3116.

M35-Series Extended Service Program (ESP)

From 1994 to 1999, M35s (and other trucks of the M35/M44 series) were upgraded under the Extended Service Program (ESP). No new trucks were produced, rather existing trucks of the M35-series were completely disassembled and the parts inspected. Reusable parts were rebuilt as required. Trucks were then reassembled using a combination of new and rebuilt parts including completely new components and systems:
  • new Caterpillar 3116 diesel engine (meeting 1993 EPA emission standards)
  • new Allison 1545 automatic transmission
  • new cooling system, reworked axles and transfer case
  • new electronically controlled central tire inflation system
  • super single radial tires
  • air-assist steering
  • improved independent circuit air/hydraulic brake system
  • three-point seat belts
  • new ergonomically designed driver's seat
  • electric windshield wipers and washer
  • improved heater and defroster system
M35 cargo trucks remanufactured under the Extended Service Program were designated M35A3. Further production was terminated in FY1999, superseded by the FMTV: Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles. ESP was very successful. Overall, the remanufactured vehicles met 95 percent of the performance requirements at 60 percent of the cost of a new FMTV.

Last edited:

frodobaggins

See? Now, this is why I'm mixed up. On GL they call a 2.5 ton truck that has a Cummings Diesel, the in-cab tire inflation system, automatic x-mission, power steering, the latest style of front clip and the "super singles" an M35A3. So that's really an M9xx series?
No, now you are both confused.

frodobaggins

M35A2
Cargo Capacity 2.5 Ton Off Road / 5 Ton On Road
Engine - LD(T) 465 Straight 6 Multifuel
5 speed Manual
Duals

M35A3
Cargo Capacity 2.5 Ton Off Road / 5 Ton On Road
Engine Caterpillar 3116 Diesel
Allison Automatic
CTIS
Air-O-Matic
Singles
Electric Wipers
Ugly as Sin

M939 Series
Cargo Capacity 5 Ton Off Road / 10 Ton On Road
655cid Cummins NHC 250 or 504.5cid Cummins 6CTA8.3
Allsion Automatic
Power Steering
Air brakes
Tilt Hood
Duals or Singles
WAY BIGGER THAN A DEUCE

Whatever that guy was talking about a tachograph has nothing to do with a trucks designation as an M35A3

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To add on to Frodo's post -

Pictures, because they help sometimes.

The first photo is of a M35A3. The 2nd and 3rd photo are of a M928.

Furthermore...

900 series 5 tons have a different numbering scheme than the M35s do.

M923 = Regular wheelbase Cargo bed, wo/winch
M925 = Regular wheelbase Cargo bed, w/winch
M927= Extended wheelbase Cargo bed, wo/winch
M928 = Extended wheelbase Cargo bed, w/winch

A1 and A2 designations denote different engines in the 900 series, much like with the M35s.

So, an M928A2 is a 900 series 5 ton with an extended wheelbase and a winch with the newer 6CTA8.3 engine.

Attachments

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DCWILKIE, not sure if you know this, but it is against site rules to mention any upcoming or ongoing auction. I suggest you edit your post or else a moderator will.

dcwilkie

The Rules

DCWILKIE, not sure if you know this, but it is against site rules to mention any upcoming or ongoing auction. I suggest you edit your post or else a moderator will.
Cut n pasted from the posted rules:

Auction Postings: Please abide by the following rules concerning the posting of auction information in the forums:
• No frivolous auction posting. This means don’t post GL/GSA auction information and photos that could be easily found with a quick search online. Very unusual or interesting items may be shared in the appropriate forums.
• Do not post links to auction photos. GL/GSA links quit working after a short period of time so save the image to your PC and then attach it to your post.
• No collusion as specified above.

I believe I am well within the rules, but if the moderator thinks otherwise, I'm glad to edit or let them edit.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
. Very unusual or interesting items may be shared in the appropriate forums.

I believe I am well within the rules, but if the moderator thinks otherwise, I'm glad to edit or let them edit.
What makes this applicable? Sure, everything is interesting or unusual to someone. The last 5 or 6 that came up must not have been quite as interesting as this one...:roll:

emr

Good sense, and Thanks for being a team player...!!!!...:-D... The basic differences of these trucks by what one is better or not is mostly opinion, Just because a Col. says so, is probably the best reason to be suspect, Any Hobbiest in my opinion knows more about what trucks are what than most active 88 Mikes, and I will add my opinion from the ranks of the unit that put more miles on the road then any other in the first year of Iraqi Freedom,Is the NJ Devils, and all I know and spoke with that even go back to Vietnam say that the 939 series trucks out performed ALL other trucks hands down they have ever seen or used. reliability , cargo capacity, able to drive long distances with the least fatique, Everything comes to an end, and putting a bunch of antiques back on the road just does not make any sense to me at all. the new FMTV,s are easier to drive , and have bugs, most have been worked out, they are not going to be one of the all time greats for sure, And as for there life expectancy, well, it remains to be seen, I have driven them and think they are awesome, every Soldier here would rather drive one of them over any of the Antiques, that are just hard to drive, For those who love the Oldys, it is different, But a Bunch of young 88M;s who only know they are in a truck with climate control, and plugs for all kinds of things young people like, it is obvious, there is alot more to what works than how cool they are....:-D

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks