• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Difference in cab soft tops per contracts?

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was wondering if there is a difference in soft tops for whatever contractor is building them for the government. The reason I ask is on both corners of my cab above the windshield has an opening large enough to let water in I’m sure (have not driven it in a downpour yet). I don’t believe my old top was like that at all and had more material around the corners to cover this area up. What contractors built soft tops? Im taking a guess that one might be GMA?

A similar topic is the cover for my M105A2. I went through a couple covers for it after I found one that did not leak. The seam or the spot where the side flaps meet the front flaps was very high, thus did not have sufficient overlapping to make it harder for water to get in. I hope that makes sense.

So are there differences in vinyl soft tops (particularly deuces and 800 series 5 tons) even though they are the same NSN?

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They may have the same NSN but there is absolutely differences. My last two non GMA covers were junk. The last I wouldn't even resell, it went into the trash.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The new cover I bought for my truck didn’t even line up with two of oval holes on the door frame for the quarter-turn tabs. They were a little bit off. Also the edges hang down a little bit more than my previous top, so the windows could hit it a little if they are rolled up too high. I am sure I could adjust the window stops, but it seems like it should be better than what it is. Another thing is that the top is very droopy between the (3) top bows. It sags enough to collect water. If the top fit better and the only problem was water puddles on the cover when it rains, I would just put in an extra bows between the existing 3 bows (for a total of 5 bows).

What other contractors made the soft tops besides GMA?

steelandcanvas

The soft top that came on Mactiredearg's 109A4 was separating, and the insulating foam was all dried out and falling out. I'll have to get the CAGE code off it and see who made it. You'd think all these tops would be made to the same specs. I traded him a case of wine for a new top, but he doesn't know it yet.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I looked closer at my top last night... that thing fits terrible. I wish i had a picture of it. I still have the box, ill try to get the cage code off it, if it is on there. What is the cage code for GMA?

Lex_Ordo

I have a GMA cab tarpaulin, but I recently saw at the Sussex, NJ show a different brand, made by Bretton Industries in upsate NY.
I know Bretton, becasue I had bought Fuel Can bracket starps from them a couple years ago. They are a current military contractor, and if I remember correctly, their tarp, has an improvement over GMA. Seems they addressed the stitching of the 'C' chanel that is used to secure the tarp to the windshield frame. I can't remember specifically what the modification was, but I know it stuck in my mind to want one.
Unfortunately, I bought two GMA tarps, so I will need to wait some years before the second one fades and drys out enough to buy the third.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do the other soft tops adress the areas at the top corner of the windshield where mine shows light through it? Does anybody have pictures of their soft tops that fit good or fit poorly?

gunboy1656

How do the other soft tops adress the areas at the top corner of the windshield where mine shows light through it? Does anybody have pictures of their soft tops that fit good or fit poorly?
Only thing I could suggest is taking it to a canvas shop and have them move that plastic channel so that it would pull the cover forward more. That should get rid of most of those holes.

saddamsnightmare

August 23, 2012.

If the hole in the corner of the windshield on the soft top is bothering you too much, stop at an upholstery shop and get a couple of pieces of scrap foam and cut to fit & insert them in the corners. It will keep out drafts and rain, and will be the only place in the cab that will do that. I replaced all the seals on my M35A2, windshields, even on the hood hold down bracket pivot, but there were enough other places that you could not get the cab completely sealed.
Its just the nature of the design, a dry, warm & comfortable GI is not an alert GI!;-)

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my old cab stayed warm and dry for the most part, so i am trying to get this one the same :lol:

I already brought this soft top brand new and for it to fit this bad, i dont like it. if i only used the truck as an offroad work machine, its one thing. To have it as a daily driver is another thing. aua