• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

differences between LDS465-1A and the Dash-2 ?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
have done a search on here for "LDS465-2 " and all i get is a ton of Dash-A1 hits and not notice any peep about the Dash-2 ... Every one of the 5T multifuels here in the yard have 1A on the tag if I recall correctly.. And I don't recall seeing a Dash-2 in the army either, but at this age I don't remember what wife said just 5 minutes ago .. The only thing I remember about the Dash-2 was a mention in a late-70's TM9 that the Dash-2 max rpm was 2800 as was the R6602 gas, whereas the Dash-1A has been 2600 max for as long as I have been around these trucks .. Just curious what else is different such as torque value, HP, pistons, turbo, etc.. I have seen three different turbos on 5T multifuels but I think one of those was a deuce 1C that a fire dept put on it , from the sound and looks of it without popping the hood

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M757 with the LDS-2 in it. The TMs for the truck aren't too enlightening on the engine itself but it's rated for 210 hp. Some documents say 215 hp so it is in that area. It does have a larger turbo and I'm sure the pump is tuned differently. I can't say if it shares pistons with the -1A but they're both improved over the original LD/LDT design.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You see the hp is rated at 2800 RPM, having driven a 656, I can tell you the Allison shift points are all at 2800 RPM, the engine seems like it spends a lot of time at redline.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hen's tooth motor...Only seen 2 in my half-century of MV's. Both were in 8X8's.
Yeah, I have never seen one .. If a hen's tooth, I will abandon the thought of looking for one to do a re-motor/re-class on one of the M51A2's w/OD that was planned to be converted to M52A2 .. I will grab a 673 mack engine instead, a better engine anyway but pricey to rebuild or fix

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, the ENDT-673 is a pricey motor, but it will run a good long time if you leave the governor alone and keep oil & water in it.

My old M54A1 came to me back in the early 90's from a DRMO sale with some 22K on the clock. I've put another 25K on since, with no major work on the engine other than the vibration damper falling off without any harm to things.

The old girl has easily passed 800-series rigs in our 'club convoys', cause I don't want to breathe all that black smoke...

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, I have never seen one .. If a hen's tooth, I will abandon the thought of looking for one to do a re-motor/re-class on one of the M51A2's w/OD that was planned to be converted to M52A2 .. I will grab a 673 mack engine instead, a better engine anyway but pricey to rebuild or fix
I saw a LDS-2 in a can, yes NOS in a can, on facebook from another steelsoldier member last summer. He stripped it down to put in his deuce and I bought all the M656/M757 specific accessories. I know rare stuff pops up time to time but it's possible.. :naner:

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The old girl has easily passed 800-series rigs in our 'club convoys', cause I don't want to breathe all that black smoke...
the last unit i was with remotored dead or dying multifuels into "A2 Macks" but there were only a handful of them (and actual A1's) amongst the gaggle of gassers, multifuels, and 800's.. We would "fight" over them and literally run like hell across the motorpool to beat others to them first! Which bumper numbers had the macks in them was a secret not to be passed down.. If you were the fng, you had to figure it out for yourself. It took me a few months to figure out what all the fuss was about :unsure: :LOL:

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks