• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differences between tilt column and non tilt

cheiser666

Ive heard the ignition system is different on the tilt so i thought that maybe the ignition part of the kit was not compatible but maybe the housing is compatible

Firejareen

Somewhere I read that you can keep the same key when you change the column. Something like as long as both columns have keys the lock core can swap between them. You need the key to pull the lock core. I don't know how to do it but I am sure a locksmith could do it for you.

DrJekl

The tilt column uses a different housing up top due to the tilt guts (lever, spring, ball thing, etc). The parts on the right side of the photo are the same.

You can swap the lock cylinder out pretty easily. The lock cylinder is held in with a bolt/screw. Remove the wheel, take out the signal light cam and remove the little horn contact, take out the bolt and pull out the cylinder. Then go in reverse to put it back together. There are a couple of different lock designs but the columns that will fit your CUCV will use the same cylinder.

You can pay a lock smith to do it but it will cost you less for the steering wheel puller and the beer it takes to learn how to swap it out yourself. Look at a column diagram. They are pretty simple. You will need a steering wheel puller and the little tool to get the lock ring cam retaining ring out.

I keep my door locks the same but swapped ignition locks. The guys at work like to hide the truck when I am in Wal Mart. Now they can only get in and turn on the wipers and heater.

Last edited:

unaffiliated

Oh, and try to get the column with the delay wiper switch and control module. I'm gonna want that too. :) I'll even pay the return shipping, I'm just a nice guy ya know.

K9Vic

Oh, and try to get the column with the delay wiper switch and control module. I'm gonna want that too. :) I'll even pay the return shipping, I'm just a nice guy ya know.
Yes, delay wipers are nice addition to have when you swap out a tilt column. Even if you do not get the black box (control module) for the wiper delay you can usually find them in junk yards for cheap.

To the OP:
The tools to change the lock cylinder are not that expensive and you can watch about a dozen YouTube videos to learn how to change it out.

DrJekl

The last few times I have been in the junk yard there seem to be more tilt columns out there than non-tilt columns. The local yard/pull a part gets about $45 for straight and $65 for tilt and they do not care about the wiper control box and wheel. When I picked up the one for my M1009, it had a $300 Grant wheel on it. Cost was $63 or so after military discount though I had to give him a beater for a core.

DrJekl

One more thing, you can get some really sloppy columns real cheap. There are four bolts inside the column that are easy to get to that generally loosen up over the years and the column feels like it is about to fall apart. Get in there, clean things up, lube and tighten up and you have what feels to be a new column.

Can't go wrong with the tilt! I switched mine out. When looking for a column... be sure and test the blinker return lever. Engage the blinker level up or down and turn the wheel to see if it pops back when the wheel is straight.

My whole fiasco that put me into a tilt column started because I originally had to switch out the internal plastic ring that makes the lever return when the steering wheel is returned back to the straight position. Or stated another way, the blinkers wouldn't stay engaged when turning and it would not pass inspection. I had a bugger of a time finding the right one from GM and from the auto stores. They all were made just a bit different. I became frustrated and just opted for a whole new tilt column.

Point is... parts are getting scarcer for these old trucks. Try and get something in good condition.

Hollowman

Do the delayed wipers require a different module at the end of the stalk? I have a delay stalk and the delay box, but I've plugged them all in and they still dont work. Does the switch that the stalk plugs into need to be replaced as well? I pulled a tilt column from an 88 syburban and it fit straight into my M1009. The retaining bolts got sloppy shortly after and I had to tear that column down to the core to tighten them and it was no walk in the park let me tell you. They're tight now and the column is just fantastic!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more thing, you can get some really sloppy columns real cheap. There are four bolts inside the column that are easy to get to that generally loosen up over the years and the column feels like it is about to fall apart. Get in there, clean things up, lube and tighten up and you have what feels to be a new column.
Awe geez there goes my secret on getting tilt columns on the cheap.

DrJekl

You do not need to change the switch. By stalk, do you mean the harness? If so, the delay harbess has two more wires than a non-delay harness but the output of the module is the same as a standard non-delay harness or two less wires. Your module may be bad or the switch in the column. Just verify your connections and if that does not work, try to swp the module with a known good unit.

Do the delayed wipers require a different module at the end of the stalk? I have a delay stalk and the delay box, but I've plugged them all in and they still dont work. Does the switch that the stalk plugs into need to be replaced as well? I pulled a tilt column from an 88 syburban and it fit straight into my M1009. The retaining bolts got sloppy shortly after and I had to tear that column down to the core to tighten them and it was no walk in the park let me tell you. They're tight now and the column is just fantastic!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks