• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differences in REO gasser winch and M35A2

x-ray

I just picked up an old take off winch from what was likely an REO studebaker 1952 M35 gasser.

The winch looks very similar to the std M35A2 winch but the drum lock latch looks different, has a circular knob, and it doesn't appear to be spring loaded, Not sure if if its supposed to spring actuate so that it locks into the lock nut or not. I suppose it could be broken or rusty inside. Maybe I could update the latch and nut

I was hoping to eventually mount in on my 71 M35a2

Just checking to see if anyone knows how this latch is supposed to work.
I did a search and all I was able to determine was the winches should interchange.

Thanks for any input.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its all the same, except the drive shaft. You can use the gasser, just need to do some grinding on the multi's bell housing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is supposed to be a spring on the round drum lock lever. You can unscrew the while thing for observation and repair.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supposed to be spring loaded also. Spring must be messed up. The drum lock knob is the only difference that comes to mind. The drum lock is there to break your shear pin when you forget to unlock it before using the winch. :twisted:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just checking to see if anyone knows how this latch is supposed to work.
I did a search and all I was able to determine was the winches should interchange.
Try searching for key words like "lock bolt" and "drum lock pin".... alot comes up:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/39886-drum-lock-mini-handle-2.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/31822-help-winch-drum-lock-lever-stuck.html
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/20636-controlling-winch-cable-2.html

G.

x-ray

Update - Kroil Worked!

Update - I had already tried PB Blaster, but tried the Kroil and it came lose after a few taps with a a hammer from the outside and a punch pin from the inside ( my spool has the hole) crud and rust was in there and it eventually popped free and springs back like it should :-D

Thanks guys - Will keep Kroil handy for future jobs

tm america

it should be spring loaded. the winch is off of a m135 or m211 with that round knob. i have the same winch on my m35a2c .the winch itself is the same .same part number same casting number you just need winch brackets pto and driveshaft for the m35 and you are good to go .

tm america

i thought the welded brackets were the later ones .those are the stronger one to arent they i want to change mine out to the welded ones they just look stronger