• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differences in wheels

RANDYDIRT

Here's a picture about a difference I noticed between riveted wheels vs. welded. If you look at the wheel on the left (riveted wheel) in the red circle you can see that the vent holes go almost to the bend where the center starts. The one on the right is more sloped and the vent holes don't go as far up. The back-spacing is also about 5/16 less on the riveted wheel. Just an FYI.

Dirt

Attachments

Jake0147

If you look at them long enough, there's differences between individual riveted wheels and individual welded wheels. I've hand prepped two full sets now... I've got riveted ones with the hand hole to the curve, and not to the curve. I've got welded ones with the hand hole to the curve, and not to the curve. That curve varies a LOT. I've got one where that curve has is more squared than radiused. That was a while back, but out of two sets of wheels I painted, I got five(give or take) manufacturers, and even differences within the manufacturers.

Watch your bottom flange (in your pics I can't see, but the part you have the wheel sitting on), some of mine are WAY taller than others, which would affect the measurement in your pic, but would not affect the actual tire position on the vehicle. Some of mine are still less than exact in that department too, even with that accounted for.

Bolt 'em all up, and I can't tell the difference...

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changing the subject a bit Randy, did you do anything more than just some sanding before painting, and what did you prime and paint with? Did you use any hardener?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder how many different wheel manufacturers they've had over the years? That probably explains the differences.

RANDYDIRT

Changing the subject a bit Randy, did you do anything more than just some sanding before painting, and what did you prime and paint with? Did you use any hardener?
sandblasted and sanded to 320 with a DA. Rustoleum rusty metal primer and gillespie topcoat.

Dirt

Jake0147

I wonder how many different wheel manufacturers they've had over the years? That probably explains the differences.

From memory, I've got Goodyear, Firestone, Canada T (I think...), Accuride, and others for sure but I did not document it. When I get a moment I'll look and see if it shows through my new paint. I also noticed that some but not all are DOT approved (legal for use by civilians on public roadways and thoroughfares). I think I have an unapproved welded wheel, most of the unapproved wheels (maybe all?) were riveted. I also know that I have one riveted wheel that is approved. I remember that because I red on here (or somewhere) that the rivets flunked DOT approval automatically. Maybe somebody at the stamping machine didn't care? Who knows.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... also manufactured by CLEV WELD.

Another very noticeable difference I have found over the years, mainly on the riveted wheels but also on the welded ones is in the thickness of material of the center plate, in the area of the handholes and further to the rim. Just by looking at the handhole edges (or feeling with fingers) one could tell which ones are "heavy duty". Never found any indications though, regarding max. weight capacity; just the common stampings saying MAX TIRE 12.00

Attached pics showing two different, riveted wheels: both are GOODYEAR and manuf. dates are 9-52 and 11-52, respectively. The wheel in the second pic is what I would call "reinforced".
Always wondered if they had at least two different categories, depending on application? Like if the M60/M108 trucks for example, ever came with stronger wheels???

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks