• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

different colored diesel and low sulfur fuel

Vintage iron

I just recently return from a long road trip. While I was driving through different states I put in different colored fuel. In Mass most of the fuel I run is blueish in color and looks oily like diesel should. But I put some low sulfur fuel in before I left it was yellow. I put some orange low sulfur fuel in New york. I don't think the low sulfur fuel has as much power and I don't think it lubricates as well. When I was in PA I put some more blue fuel in and the truck ran like a champ. I have read other threads on this but I don't think anyone covered the colors? they say low sulfur doesn't lube as well too. I am going to start carrying a Jerry can full of filtered Waste oil, I am going to add some to every tank of diesel. I will run alt fuel around town and spiked diesel on road trips.

dittle

The ULSD is crap in my opinion. I'm not sure what the difference is between the blue vs. yellow fuel but all of the OTR fuel I've seen is yellow. Definately do not put the red fuel in your OTR truck, if you get your tank dipped you'll be in a world of trouble.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a difference between #1 and #2 diesel, the #2 is more viscous and used in warmer weather. There may be a slight difference in color and if your FDC is bypassed the #2 will also give you more power for a given foot petal position since it's a higher BTU fuel.

Use some 10W or fresh veggie oil along with low sulfur diesel for lubrication.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Down here in the South, all I have seen is a greenish-blue mix on the diesel, #2. I remember buying diesel up in the Northwest, in December and January, and it was a yellowish-orange color, could be it is #1 Diesel (wont gel, etc.). Only other color I've seen is Red, for offroad and marine.

It might be just a way to tell what grade of diesel you have, #1 or #2.

2cents

NSCoyote

The ULSD is crap in my opinion. I'm not sure what the difference is between the blue vs. yellow fuel but all of the OTR fuel I've seen is yellow. Definately do not put the red fuel in your OTR truck, if you get your tank dipped you'll be in a world of trouble.
my last fine was in the range of $100 per gallon you have in your tank through fines on top of having to have the truck towed to where my tank could be emptied and refilled with on road fuel.

1gl of 2 stroke oil per 100gl of fuel has a funny habit of changing red fuel to a bluish color and adding some lubricity to the fuel;) just for informational purposes of course

Last edited:

Tlauden

Thanks for the info guys!! I'll have to get a clear container and see just how the red offload and blue two stroke react ;) off road is so much cheaper, but getting dipped is my biggest fear

Josh

Thanks for the info guys!! I'll have to get a clear container and see just how the red offload and blue two stroke react ;) off road is so much cheaper, but getting dipped is my biggest fear
Burn off-road diesel is the same as tax evasion in the gobbermints eyes.

hklvette

You can change the color, but I believe that the fuel can be tested for the presence of dye, regardless of appearance.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, post where you work, post where you live, post a picture of your MV, post a pic of your POV, post that you want to use red fuel and change the color cause it's cheaper on a publicly accessed(guest) forum. Not so smart...[thumbzup]

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Burn off-road diesel is the same as tax evasion in the gobbermints eyes.
Same as buning WMO, WVO, VO, transformer oil, home heating oil, paint thiner (WM), waste transmission oil, ZOUTs special brew (wiil need a LOT of cutback), hyd. oil, thined gear oil, and any of the other what ever is dumped into a MULTIs tank.

Last edited:

dittle

I run offroad in mine cause i can buy it cheaper and it used to be the only diesel i could get that was not low sulfer now it is just cheaper and i still add used transmission fluid to it about 1 quart per 5 gallons . warning tho if you decied to put transmission fluid in your tank be prepared to put alot of new fuel filters on also ... i went through 3 but i would be willing to bet my fuel system is cleaner than factory.:mrgreen:
I run ATF in my system all the time and have never had an issue. My guess is your system was very dirty in the first place. My dad runs ATF in his OTR truck and has no issues with his filter as well.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I run offroad in mine cause i can buy it cheaper and it used to be the only diesel i could get that was not low sulfer now it is just cheaper and i still add used transmission fluid to it about 1 quart per 5 gallons . warning tho if you decied to put transmission fluid in your tank be prepared to put alot of new fuel filters on also ... i went through 3 but i would be willing to bet my fuel system is cleaner than factory.:mrgreen:
You know, this kind of post is not the SMARTEST thing to do, When the watchers (yes we are being watch) see this, thay may start to STICK all the MVs that thay see in private hands looking for the high $$$ fine. the way the states are broke, thay are looking for EVERY EXTRA income (fine) $$ thay can put there hands on, So a POST like this could HURT every MV owner, even if running LEGAL fuel, once stopped, other things may be found. and this does not count the hassle to the ALTERNATIVE fuel users

I might as well say it, this is one of the dumbest post that has been posted for a while that does not call for RTFM

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well I guess I am not quite sure how to take that but its you right . I also live in florida and the laws to my understanding a a bit different when it comes to fuel since we pay a tourist tax year round on our fuel so the tourist can help pay our road tax (we still pay that tax also) and the local gas stations dont say offroad is not to be run and niether does the DOT cops unless you drive a commercial truck since my truck will probably not leave the state unless sold I dont see it as a big deal. most offrad fuel laws exclude private non commercial trucks .But then again I guess I am dumb . thanks for pointing that out was not smart enough to see it for myself.
OFF ROAD means OFF ROAD ===tractor fuel, farm fuel, ect. :shock:

YOUR WELCOME :beer:

mhassett

Other than the red die put in for off road fuel, color means nothing in diesel fuel specifications.
In the analysis, color is noted only for reference.
MHassett
Bush, LA

abh3

Rev Evil: Off road fuel is a federal thing as well so just because they don't roadblock in FL checking it doesn't mean it's not trouble waiting in the tank if you run it... The signs on the pump, or lack of, mean nothing in the eyes of the law! And Crestview is only about 30 miles south of trouble with that red fuel on the highway.

Here in the Great State of Alabamastan they regularly roadblock to check for red diesel, they're aiming at loggers and farmers but aren't particular about who they bust. Sometimes it's just the Alabama Dept. of Public Safety and not the brightest officers at that, I pulled up to one roadblock and the guy asked if my Dodge Cummins was a diesel (RATTLE, RATTLE, RATTLE!!). I told him "No, it's 'bout wore out, them nods is a rockin' bad..." and he waved me through, LOL!! Another time I was stopped and they were all business, had an IRS agent with them and he was ALL dressed up in his combat black, boots, web-gear w/ lots of pouches and drop-leg tactical holster. I was tempted to tell him "I've done give out all the Halloween candy but you got a great costume, sonny..." but though better of it, Daddy always said it was a bad business to antagonize the cops. God help that little whelp if someone meant him harm, trying to dig his pistol out of that army holster...

Anyway, it's all ULSD around here now, red or otherwise, and I've got the John Deere injection pump that 's ready for a rebuild to prove it! :sad:

Last edited:

spicergear

For you guys adding WMO or ATF for a lubricant in the ULSF, that's blending fellas, got a permit? I buy the stuff at Advance Auto that adds lubrication and cetane boost for the Mogs 30+yr old Bosch pump...and it's legal.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sigh...

Look into your state's revenue office for a blenders license. I can run a full tank of off road. I get dipped, I show the license, I get a 'have a nice day'. :driver:

With the license I can legally burn anything and everything in my trucks. I simply must report my usage and pay the road tax on what I've burned by the 22nd of the following month. You do have to submit a report each month even if you burn zero gallons. This is state and federal taxes. It would be like if I bought a tank of fuel for my pickup to drive to TN- I don't pay road taxes in TN unless I purchase fuel there. So even if I get dipped, it came from my state, I'm still good. I do not however use off road in my semi. I take it out of state, and even though I would still be legal (you pay for miles run in other states if running commercial) I just don't want the hassle if it is dipped.

But everyone is right, color means nothing when it comes to grade, or quality of the diesel.