• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

different colored diesel and low sulfur fuel

SCRAP

most people want to rant about using off road or home heating oil , but the fact is if said truck is not tagged or on a public road all is well. lots of logging trucks that never see a higway use off road fuel, just as skidders and other equipment.

Vintage iron

I am not sure how we get off on rants about Tax and red fuel. We all are aware of the laws. It is a free country and we choose to follow the laws that govern us. My question was in regards to color and quality of diesel. I want to thank everyone for their input. Thank you for the links too. [thumbzup]

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
. most offrad fuel laws exclude private non commercial trucks .
This is dead wrong. Red dyed (off-road) fuel is illegal in every state in the union in any vehicle used on public roads. I would love to know where you got this info.

We all are aware of the laws.
Evidently some aren't.

Posting running dyed fuel in a public forum is just a bad idea. Most people wouldn't post that they cheat on their income taxes, this is just the same.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I got stopped in my F-250 right after I bought it when I was doing some towing. DOT dipped my tanks it was 3.7ppm red dye in the tank that DIDNT work due to the selector valve. Legal limit was 3.3ppm. Got a $1,032 fine no matter how many gallons were in it. It was dismissed since I did the hearing and showed that I had bought #2 on 2 occasions when driving it. Since I had only had the truck 72 hours as well. DOT officer got a reprimanded as well since he dipped my tanks WITHOUT my permission and did not have probable cause to dip the tanks. He said my truck being a diesel was probable cause, it was a big mess. The next time he stopped me I had him with a confused look on his face when I ran clear # 2 and added 2 qts of WMO and it was ALL pitch black. Not much to sample.

M-35A3

I filled up the deuce a few weeks ago and it looked like i was pumping mountain dew into the tank . While i was pumping it started foaming out of the tank which i never seen anything like it before.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
diesel always foams. it needs a good bit of air to vent. the old sulfer diesel didnt foam near as bad as the ULSD. My ford truck wont hardly fill up with the 5/16 vent tube cause of the foam so i went to 3/4 hose for a vent.

Loco_Hosa

So, can someone link me to a site explaining how it is ok for them to violate my 4th amendment right and search an enclosed container on my truck?

Im not by any means saying that they cant, I am saying I have never seen it, and I would like to understand how that's different than them searching my glove-box.

Even more so if the tank is locked, that seems like a complete violation of constitutional law.

Im not doing a **** thing that is illegal, I am just curious. :)

Ord22

look guys. ULSD is here to stay. alot of truckers don't like it. the fuel isn't a good lubrication for th older engine. this is why you may have to put a little oil mix in with your fuel. the different colors are ULSD fuel. the fuel is to have the engines burn cleaner. as far as the HP, don't know about that. i've heard the engines do lose power.

Josh

They dont even have to "dip" the tank. They can swab the exaust pipe to test for the presence of some chemicals in the dye.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, can someone link me to a site explaining how it is ok for them to violate my 4th amendment right and search an enclosed container on my truck?

Im not by any means saying that they cant, I am saying I have never seen it, and I would like to understand how that's different than them searching my glove-box.

Even more so if the tank is locked, that seems like a complete violation of constitutional law.

Im not doing a **** thing that is illegal, I am just curious. :)
You make a good point but I do know the check. I've been checked several times in my Dodge Cummins. I didn't give consent any of the times but I didn't try and object either. They more or less told me they were going to dip my tank and did. I don't know what would have happened if I said no.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
THE NEXT TIME HE STOPPED YOU.....?

How often does the po po stop you in any given week..? Does this seem like border line harassment to you. It does to me from reading your post.

I am all about our freedoms guaranteed by our Constitution.

I even went as far as filing a US Title 42:1983 Civil Rights complaint in the western district of Nevada when I lived in Vegas. The case was not deemed frivolous and was placed on the docket.

The day after the Metro officers were served the Capitan called me on my cell phone and wanted a meeting. I was given a written apology and from that day on I was never stopped/pulled over and or harassed.

My point is sometimes you have to stand up for your rights and shove back when shoved. We do live in a great country and the laws are deigned to protect and serve us all. Don't let 1 lone officer abuse your rights and not do anything about it. The Federal Courts are there to oversee the lower Courts and the police for abusive process.

During the spring and summer when I do some scrap hauling I get stopped pretty often. I was hauling loads of scrap in May/June for a guy and grossing 30-45k behind my F250 3-4x a day on loads 80miles each way to the scrap yard on the interstate. I was getting stopped 2 or 3x a day everyday. Weighed, sizes measured, tanks dipped, basically just a DOT inspection even tough I am not commercial cause I am buying the scrap from people BEFORE it is taken to the scrap yard. Cause in MT if your hauling for profit, with any vehicle you have to have a CDL. It was pretty much harrassment, I used to be a deputy in TN and worked in a prison setting for 4years as an officer so I know both sides of the rights and wrongs of their job.

As far as dipping your tanks without consent. It is a fine line, when I was a deputy if we stopped a car and asked for a consent to search and the person refused we told them to step out of the car. Mostly because verbal non compliance was probable cause for a search. It was fine line and you could get away with it unless the person knew their rights. DOT can say the same thing, you refuse to let them check your tanks and they can consider you driving a diesel as probable cause. The exhaust swap test cannot be used in court in some states. Even though most of the time you are just issued the fine by the DOT and it doesn't go to a judge. Then you have your hearings. The swab is iffy because of all the other chemicals you can burn in your tank. 2 cyl oil. WVO, WMO, ATF, diesel additives and it can make mixed results. One thing that pisses officers off is knowing your rights and what you can and can't do. DOT up here told me I had to have a CDL for my 5 ton with air brake endorsements cause of the GVW. So I went around it and registered it as a farm truck and I can have a GVW of up to 48k without a CDL. You have to have air brake endorsement since it has air brakes but since they are over hydraulic its a fine line. Its all depends on who you run into and if you piss them off or not.

Loco_Hosa

As I understand the law, so long as you not driving commercially (Then they can pull you over and search anything they want) your rights work kinda like this:

If a container is locked, probable cause or not, an officer needs a warrant to search it. If you have a locking gas cap, and he wants to search your tank, you say, "Im sorry officer, I got nothing to hide, but I am in a hurry, so by my fourth amendment rights, you will need a warrant to search my tank."

Thats just my understanding, and maybe Im wrong.

That being said, if the officer can justify a probable cause, (Smells drugs, alchohol, ect) then he can search the driving compartment of your vehicle. Most anything he finds is dismissible in court if you can argue the probable cause. Even if the officer thinks he smells drugs, he cannot search a locked glove-box or locked trunk without a warrant.

Just my understanding. I do think I should call my lawyer on this one though.

Swab my exhaust? Thats just silly :p

Vintage iron

Well My buddy and I convoyed to the Sussex NJ show together. We both needed to fill up our M923's with fuel in NY. Shortly after I noticed a Knock in my engine and a decrease in power. Not knowing much about my new truck I feared it maybe a bad injector or bad rod bearings. I figured it could also be the hills. Well I was forced to take it easy on the ride home but I made it back. This past weekend I had loaded up my M923 for an Automotive swap meet. The knocking continued, but on the way home I needed to fill up again. When I got back on the highway the knocking went away and the power returned. I had not mentioned my concerns about the engine to my friend that was riding with me,but he was the one who first recognized the change. He said "What did you just do?" Then I realized it was the crap Fuel in NY! It is a noticeable difference! I won't go out of state with out bringing my own fuel ever again. Plus Massachusetts fuel is less expensive too!