• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Different deuce transmission shifter shapes?

Katahdin

Does someone know why these transmission shifter shapes are different?

shifter_levers.jpg

Box vs Spring Seat?
Sprag vs Air Shift?
M109 vs M35A2?

Just wondering what the definitive reason is. I learned to drive deuce on the M109 with the straight shifter, it feels a little weird adjusting to the curved shifter on the M35A2.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
xchaos is correct-the straight unit is the early gasser unit.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct, but the question still remains: why that change?

It's been many years ago but I remember well that when I converted my first M35 Reo, from very shy Gold Comet- to not-so-shy Multifuel- power, the transmissions were also swapped but the shift lever remained the same, because that one was the only one I had... And then somehow the shifter was hitting the dashboard when shifting into 5th....!

Maybe that same happened to the engineers when they first did this, back in the late sixties?
Fact is that the bent stick certainly solves that problem.

G.

Katahdin

I certainly can appreciate reusing gasser parts or leftover inventory on the multifuels, thank you for that tidbit information!

There is adequate clearance with the gasser shifter between 5th gear and the dashboard, reverse seems to be a little closer to the dash then 5th. I don't notice much difference in dash clearance in 5th between either shifter handle.

I can say that the "gasser" handle rubs with the transfercase lever in 1st/high. With the multifuel handle there is pretty good clearance between the tranny and transfercase handles in the same gear. I'm wondering if this is a reason for the shape change.

FYI, besides having less curves, the gasser shifter bends in little closer to the driver. The multifuel shifter seems to be longer reach away, I'll have to take some measurements and pics. :wink:

bspellerin

To be honest, I'm really not sure. I've been told that with my frame number and dash it was originally gas, I just don't know for sure and the data plate is definitely not original.

stb64

Originally Posted by hndrsonj
Sure that isn't a M35A1 converted to M35A2? Sure looks like it to me.....
Based on the serial M55525, this truck was a M35A1 multifueler wo/winch.
Studebaker & 1962 is correct.
The original registration number / hood number was U.S.ARMY 4D9085, it may or may not be stamped on the replacement data plate, or painted somewhere on the inside of the truck.
Replacing the old data plate with a new -A2 data plate was in the engine conversion procedure instructions.
The original engine was a LDS 427-2. There is an early and a late 427. This truck had the early, with the 4-450 turbo.
The gasser style instrument cluster was also used on early -A1 multifuelers. I am not sure when that was changed, my own truck (serial M56515 / hood# 4E0173) still has the same style cluster and & tach mounted on a separate bracket.

tommys2patrick

I certainly can appreciate reusing gasser parts or leftover inventory on the multifuels, thank you for that tidbit information!

There is adequate clearance with the gasser shifter between 5th gear and the dashboard, reverse seems to be a little closer to the dash then 5th. I don't notice much difference in dash clearance in 5th between either shifter handle.

I can say that the "gasser" handle rubs with the transfercase lever in 1st/high. With the multifuel handle there is pretty good clearance between the tranny and transfercase handles in the same gear. I'm wondering if this is a reason for the shape change.

FYI, besides having less curves, the gasser shifter bends in little closer to the driver. The multifuel shifter seems to be longer reach away, I'll have to take some measurements and pics. :wink:
I agree. I think my A2 (66' K-J) must have some reused gas parts at least as far as the shifter goes. rubs a little on the high low lever in 1st high but clears the dash fine otherwise. gets closer in reverse but no contact. all in all pretty comfy to use with out having to shift body position.

tommys2patrick

Does someone know why these transmission shifter shapes are different?

View attachment 569112

Box vs Spring Seat?
Sprag vs Air Shift?
M109 vs M35A2?

Just wondering what the definitive reason is. I learned to drive deuce on the M109 with the straight shifter, it feels a little weird adjusting to the curved shifter on the M35A2.

As for the sprag vs air shift TC--For me the sprag is cool as it is kind of like an automatic 6 wheel drive when needed. you don't have to do anything. the downside is that it can be tricky to keep in proper working order. in my mind there is a question you get when your tires are losing traction as to whether or not it has engaged properly. you can't always see how the tires are spinning on the front when you are in the drivers seat. with the air shift I think the level of confidence that it engages front drive when you hit the switch is a bit higher. I seem to recall some issues with reverse gear affecting the sprag engagement as well. on a hard surface this could cause more strain on drive train parts.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

There is adequate clearance with the gasser shifter between 5th gear and the dashboard, reverse seems to be a little closer to the dash then 5th. I don't notice much difference in dash clearance in 5th between either shifter handle......
You are right, and it was R, not 5th that came to hit the dash. (....I'm forgetting such details, it's been 20 years now... :doh:)
But still, the reduced lever-to-dash clearance was the reason for the change, I guess.

G.

bspellerin

Based on the serial M55525, this truck was a M35A1 multifueler wo/winch.
Studebaker & 1962 is correct.
The original registration number / hood number was U.S.ARMY 4D9085, it may or may not be stamped on the replacement data plate, or painted somewhere on the inside of the truck.
Replacing the old data plate with a new -A2 data plate was in the engine conversion procedure instructions.
The original engine was a LDS 427-2. There is an early and a late 427. This truck had the early, with the 4-450 turbo.
The gasser style instrument cluster was also used on early -A1 multifuelers. I am not sure when that was changed, my own truck (serial M56515 / hood# 4E0173) still has the same style cluster and & tach mounted on a separate bracket.
That's great specific information, thank you very much. I'll start looking around for the original registration/hood number.

Presently, the engine nameplate indicates a manufacture date of 3-85, the title I have says 1970 Kaiser and the data plate in the cockpit says M35A2 W/W manufacture date 1966. So if it stayed an A1 until 1985 when it got the White LDT465 1C, I wonder what the deal is with the 1966 data plate and my title? Oh well!

Thanks again.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's great specific information, thank you very much. I'll start looking around for the original registration/hood number.

Presently, the engine nameplate indicates a manufacture date of 3-85, the title I have says 1970 Kaiser and the data plate in the cockpit says M35A2 W/W manufacture date 1966. So if it stayed an A1 until 1985 when it got the White LDT465 1C, I wonder what the deal is with the 1966 data plate and my title? Oh well!

Thanks again.
I highly doubt it stayed an A1 until 1985.

Katahdin

I was thinking about this again today, and I now believe the shifter was curved and made taller for operators sitting in spring seats. There's about a 1.5 inch height difference between the box and spring seats, and same for the shifters.

Supporting my theory is my third multifuel deuce. It came with box seats and a straight shifter, just like my M109A3.

rustystud

I was thinking about this again today, and I now believe the shifter was curved and made taller for operators sitting in spring seats. There's about a 1.5 inch height difference between the box and spring seats, and same for the shifters.

Supporting my theory is my third multifuel deuce. It came with box seats and a straight shifter, just like my M109A3.
Good theory. Makes sense too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks