• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Different shift pattern in regards to driving style?

a175

I'm used to hitting that 3rd gear pretty early (25-30ish mph). It's a rare day that I drive much over 50mph. Takes me longer to get places, but I deal with it.

Last week, for some reason I began accelerating from a full stop...rather quickly. It burned some rubber and took off like a dang cheetah. By the time third gear hit, I was going over 40mph. Now, I'm not saying that I'd do it again. Lord knows that's probably not healthy to do with a 26 year old vehicle that has almost 100k miles. That being said, until I got to the next place where I had to stop, I had been driving about 50-55mph with the engine "sounding" (I don't have a tach) how they usually sound when I'm in the 40-45mph range. I didn't want to go any faster, though. I was afraid I might override the safety switch on the Flux Capacitator and sling me back to 1986 and a pissed off motor pool NCO.

Now being that I know nothing about engines, trannies (except that one time in Savannah), or mechanics in general, I have a few questions/concerns-

1. How bad and dumb was that?
2. Why did driving at a faster than usual rate cause it to shift late?
3. Why did it continue to drive at a faster pace yet lower (from the sound) rpms?

Thank you all and Happy Thanksgiving!

cliffyp

Pushing your vehicle harder than needed isn't ideal, but we all do it sometimes. In regards to why it sounded like it was cruising at lower rpm at 55 after is because it was at a lower rpm. Assuming your '08 is all stock: you said you were getting into 3rd over 40 mph. 4.56 gears in a 1.48 second gear at 40 mph yields around 2900 rpm. You shift into 3rd continue up to 55 where you are only turning 2700 rpms. Relative to what you had been hearing this is quieter even though its the same rpm it's always at when doing 55. Make sense?

cliffyp

As to shifting at higher speeds, any automatic will do this when you get on the throttle. The closer you approach "wide open throttle", the higher your shift points will be. The assumption being that if you are mashing the accelerator pedal that far then you intend to, well accelerate.

a175

So..... I did it again. Paying closer attention this time, it seems like it is just as loud as it ever was at a high speed. Maybe it just felt quieter at the time.
I've experienced late shifting on automatics plenty of times. Out of five vehicles I've owned, only one was a standard. I guess, for some reason, I just didn't expect it on a three speed diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks