• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

different types of transmissions for m1028

WARWAG

Big_Red,
In your case a TH400 is just fine ina M1009. But our M1008 and M1028 have 4.56 gears and max speed is 55 mph if you want your engine to live. I can understand why you love the TH400 and dont see a need to change it. I agree with you for your application (M1009). Bigger tires are all you would probably need if you wanted to drop rpms. For us 37" tires are not even big enough to run at highway speeds (70 to 75). Think of it as this. You will have some nice TH400 available from us 700R4 swappers.

BIG_RED

WARGWAG - I completely understand the need for overdrive. I am aware of the different axle gearing on the M1009 (3.08 gears) vs the other CUCV trucks (4.10 gears). I even think the M1009's could use overdrive. My th400 is still pulling strong, so I'll leave it as it is until it gives me trouble. I don't have much money right now, so if my tranny went I would be swapping in a junkyard th400 for $150 rather than spending $1800 getting a 700R4 built up, but if I had the cash I'd love an overdrive.

I personally have not had good experiences with 700R4's, but I understand that I have not "seen it all".

Also, for those interested - There is a mechanically controlled valvebody available for the 4L80 that allows it to operate without a computer.

If my tranny went and I had some time, I'd be looking into getting a junkyard 4L80 (because they're solid from the factory and I can pull one with low miles at the junkyard for around $200) and swapping in an aftermarket mechanical valvebody for another $200. (I heard transgo makes these - this is their website: Transgo Performance Shift Kit ).

Then I'd be looking at a solid, overdrive transmission for under $500.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with using a built 700R4. I'm sure a properly-made 700R4 would be good to it's new owner. We have trucks with 700R4's that have never had any trouble (granted, none of them tow, and one is a 4 cyl Sonoma). But, 700R4 is almost a bad word with my group of guys. We've seen em blow-up at very bad times.. (they were all factory or factory spec rebuilds though).

I'm saying that: if you're looking for something that will take some abuse, you might stand to save some time and cash using a transmission designed for use in a 1 ton truck (4L80) and getting rid of the computer yourself, rather than starting off with a transmission that is BARELY enough for a 1/2 ton (and was used in cars), then having to find a tranny shop that actually knows what they are doing (I'm not a fan of tranny shops, 95% of the guys around here are crooks), then paying them over $1000 to make it work for a truck, and hoping it's up to the job.

I've never had a good experience with a rebuilt transmission. The last 700R4 my friend brought in for rebuild cost him $2400 (it was still in the truck though). That one is still going 5000 miles later (rebuilt 6 months ago), but he's never towed with it since.

I do live in the middle of nowhere (relative to where I imagine most of you guys live) and we don't generally have many good shops for ANYTHING. In my experience, when something major like a transmission, t-case, etc needs fixing - I toss it and go pull one from the junkyard. The cost to happiness ratio on junkyard parts has been WAYY better than with rebuilt stuff for me. But yes, I do live in Canada in a small city where getting anything done on a vehicle can be a pain.

Not trying to cause any trouble, just putting in my 2 cents. Take care.

WARWAG

I called the company and they do not make a manual valve body for the 4L80E or 4L85E. Its electronic only. They do make a reprogramming kit but not a manual shifting conversion kit. The 4L60E is a strong transmission with an overdrive. Theres also a 4L65E that is even stronger and went into 3/4 ton applications. That is an electronically controlled 700R4. The 4L65E has stronger internal components. You swap in some of those components and you have a very tuff 700R4. No big deal. You can do the internal swap yourself if you have the talent. I dont so I will pay someone who does. No big deal.

Iceman3005

There's a company out there that takes the 700r4 and puts 4l65e components in the 700r4 so no electronics and still have TC lockup! There truck has 1200 HP running quarter mile. I can post link if you want too see company. They sell it for 2400

rnd-motorsports

Some guys see others with trouble with something rebuilt or refreshed not updated correctly and not allot of shops do the updates just the rebuild , big diff. Myself would take a updated 700r any day over a 400 for towing had one in a 1 ton with a 454 never had a problem in the 80000 + miles I used it pulling a goose neck with a mud dragster truck with several set of tires tools spare parts and power washer with water tank to pulls all over the state and out of state at times for two years but again updated not just rebuilt! :driver:

WARWAG

I still want a 4l80e built up for my truck with a klune and a 205.
For the Klune under drive you need to talk to Josh Cumby at High Impact Transmissions. He is the head Sales and Tech Guru there and is also "THE" Klune-V guy to talk to.

High Impact - Klune-V Extreme Underdrive

High Impact Transmission and Gears
Josh Cumby
888-316-2940

He is a great guy to talk with and knows all about our CUCV Trucks. Another Gear Head like us.[thumbzup]

BIG_RED

My bad on mixing up the gear ratio's on the CUCV's. Thanks for the correction AMJBLAZER. Maybe I got the company wrong, but I'm 95% sure SOMEBODY makes a mechanical valvebody for a 4L80E. Wish I could remember where I saw it..

Hearing about all of these successful uses of 700R4's is showing me that a PROPERLY rebuilt unit must not be that bad.. If you can find a decent shop to do it for you. Until I find a decent shop, I'm still afraid of them myself.

BIG_RED

4L80e Transgo Stage 3 Full Manual Valve body - LS1TECH
These guys are talking about a valvebody for the 4L80e that has no electronics. From transgo. It is however a manual shift valvebody (where you choose your gear, it won't shift for you). I quite like that idea for use in a CUCV..

I think someone else has a valvebody that shifts normally too, but I can't find it anywhere so I might just be losing my mind (no surprise). I have heard that it is impossible to put a 700R4 mechanical valvebody into a 4L80e.. But I have never tried. I would bet that if someone was willing to spend the time, they could get it to work. (maybe with an external valvebody under the pan with hoses to each clutch and some other fancy linkages.. approaching the expense and complexity of not being worth it :p)

dstang97

I will say that these trucks need a over drive for todays standards. You can beef up a 700r4 by putting in all these superstar parts, but until they beef up the case they will always be sup par in my book.

Iceman3005

I agree with dstang97 lots of company's out there that build heavy duty / high performance 700r4's but the cases are very weak, especially if you put a np205 behind one, there notorious for breaking at the back where the adapter bolts to the 4 bolts on the case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks