• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differential Carrier Rebuild

dwhite

I'm working on rebuilding a differential carrier for my deuce. I've been following the TM and so far all of it has come apart without any problem, except for the ring gear in the first reduction. The TM says to press the gear off of the shaft but doesn't include any details. I've tried using a 20 ton press, but no luck. The gear won't budge. Has anyone attempted to rebuild the carrier? If so, how much force was needed to disassemble the ring gear? Thanks, DW

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........ how much force was needed to disassemble the ring gear? Thanks, DW
I did disassemble one only, and I remember it was a fight... Finally used a 50-ton press and it had to come off!

My intention at that time was to rebuild two of these differentials and replace all bearings including that large roller bearing (N215, 75x130x25mm). Then found out that there was a scrapper not too far from my place who had 7 of these diffs. cheap, all rebuilt and still in the box...(!) Each was about half of what the bearings alone would have cost me! So I just bought all those chunks, instead of rebuilding mine...

G.

rustystud

Scan0009.jpgWhen I was still rebuilding these units, we had a 100ton press. One trick on going back together is to put the shaft in the deep freeze over night. Then the next day it will be easier going, just don't hit it ! Also use some lubricate like WD-40 or a silicone spray. You can use anti-seize, but just a little bit.

Last edited:

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did mine with a 50 ton press, you should have a full set of shims before you start. The shims under the bearing housing on the primary gear set is a real pain.

dwhite

Thanks for the replies! I also appreciate the other advice as well. Looks like I'll need to find someone in my locale that has at least a 50 ton press. DW