• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differential fluid level -- Use a flashlight...not your finger.

frioman

This may be common knowledge, but it may save someone a bit of time.

When changing and refilling the fluid in my differentials and transfer case I initially thought I would simply use my finger to feel the 1/2" level below the filler. That didn't seem to work; especially, after loosing some feeling in my fingers due to cold. What DID work great is using a bright flashlight to actually see the level.

And I highly recommend wearing some kind of "hardhat" when working around the truck. Believe me...you never ever want to hit your head on an open cab door when you crawl out and stand up. I find a plastic simulated baseball batting helmet to work best.

oboyjohn

I had always told my newbie mechanics to close the doors on the deuces and 5 tons. When they asked why, I would show them my scar in the middle of my back. That was a lesson learned, i'd say, and I don't want you guys ( and a few gals) to experience it.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One of my little rules, when you are working under the trucks you always close the doors.

Flyingvan911

One knuckle or all the way full doesn't make much of a difference in my experience. The transmission on my deuce overflows just before you reach the proper amount of lube anyway.

frioman

In the Lube Order (6) it states the following -- "Fill axle differentials and transfer case within 1/2 inch (12.7millimeters) of filler plug opening, when lubricant is cold, or to plug level when hot."

frioman

This is the type of "helmet" I wear when working under the truck. Light weight and almost like a cap. Not too cool, but much better than hitting my head or rubbing hair against grease.
batting helmet.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the visual on that. I sliced the rear end of my tail bone on the faucet climbing out of the tub one day. The girl looking over my shoulder reading your thread, now thinks I should wear that hat around the house.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the Lube Order (6) it states the following -- "Fill axle differentials and transfer case within 1/2 inch (12.7millimeters) of filler plug opening, when lubricant is cold, or to plug level when hot."
Yes I can see 1/2 inch cold but 2 inches or second knuckle. One would think if there is a bad seal or improper seal seating then there would be leakage. I have filled my Deuce's Transmission to the plug and no problems of it leaking out of the input shaft. As far a axles go same thing if the seals are correct then there was no problem. Yes there is plenty of lube in a axle even if carried a second knuckle to operate I believe. I look at it like gas tank. A can will run fine with a 1/4 tank of fuel but I like to see a full tank. If my axle will not leak when it is toped off thats how I run it. If there is a leak from bad seal I fix it. One thing I don't agree with is the silicone used in the key way. Have seen where someone put it all the way down the key way. Any grease on any part of where the silicone is ment to bond will be a release place. I have used the cork but switched to a wad of my shop towels which are the blue ones you get at any parts place. Never had a key way leak yet.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I took the above advice. Put on the helmet with a miner's light attached. Attempted to check the moisture level in the Boss Lady's primary gearbox. She said no way am I getting in bed with that helmet on. Go figure.:roll::shrugs:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah that's what I thought. Just filled all thee diffs. to level with hole now everything that can leak is leaking. Thanks for the post was worried.
Did you ever remove the hubs and repack bearings and put in new seal correctely and torque correctely?

Winner Winner Chicken dinner. Doghead's TM's come through.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And I highly recommend wearing some kind of "hardhat" when working around the truck. Believe me...you never ever want to hit your head on an open cab door when you crawl out and stand up. I find a plastic simulated baseball batting helmet to work best.
I DID THAT! I hit my head on the corner of my open drivers door after coming back up from petting a dog. my head bled pretty good and I can still feel the scar!