• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differential options

Vapor Trail

What kind of locker or system should I put in my differentials front and rear? I mostly drive in the street but want maximum traction for snow or off road also. I was thinking electric lockers front and rear but it may not be necessary to go to that expense. I’m not really even sure how the OEM system operates

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The HMMWV uses torsen diffs. While they're not as good as a locker, they're way better than a open diff or a limited slip diff. You can use the brakes to modulate the diffs when they start spinning to apply power to the wheels that still have grip. Outside of that, there's the auburn gear ECTED diff. Which allows you to have a limited slip and a e-locker.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never explain it properly. Look up BTM Brake Throttle Modulation IIRC. Patracy is referring to that.

Vapor Trail

OK thanks guys. i researched torsen diff and the BTM method. It looks like the BTM method is something that is not ideal and I wouldn't want to have to rely on becaue it can tear stuff up and doesn't give 100 percent of power to the right wheels. Someone said the Auburn is not recommended for use in a vehicle that is driven on the road the majority of the time. I think I'll do an ARB or Eaton locker.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want a Detroit Locker for the rear. They get a fair amount of hate because of their on road manners. You would probably be just fine with the front and learn how to brake properly as suggested above.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK thanks guys. i researched torsen diff and the BTM method. It looks like the BTM method is something that is not ideal and I wouldn't want to have to rely on becaue it can tear stuff up and doesn't give 100 percent of power to the right wheels. Someone said the Auburn is not recommended for use in a vehicle that is driven on the road the majority of the time. I think I'll do an ARB or Eaton locker.
I don’t like to rely on air compressor, plastic lines and switches. OX locker is a cable I believe and has less moving parts. I think the ARB is a fancy Jeep thing

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HummerH1 has almost 300,000 miles on his A0 rig that goes offroad in ice, snow, mud, rocks… Never once has he indicated that he wants or needs lockers. I have predominantly street vehicles both HMMWV and H1. I have NEVER wanted lockers.

These are amazing capable vehicles As-Is. I’m not sure what you’re looking for.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done some decent off roading in the Jeep parks on trails I didn't fit in.
With BTM I've climbed up rocks while literally balancing on 2 wheels (opposite corners)

It's not as good overall as real lockers, and a little noisy because my brakes like to squeal a little, but unless you're trying to build a true rock crawler or off roader like that, as opposed to occasionally doing some light to moderate trails, then it's a lot of expense that doesn't give much additional benefit

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HummerH1 has almost 300,000 miles on his A0 rig that goes offroad in ice, snow, mud, rocks… Never once has he indicated that he wants or needs lockers. I have predominantly street vehicles both HMMWV and H1. I have NEVER wanted lockers.

These are amazing capable vehicles As-Is. I’m not sure what you’re looking for.
Emphatically this!

I like selectable lockers. But the stock M998 when used with compence won't get stuck due to lack of a locker.

I contemplate a Detroit locker for the mid axle on my M925, but again, I've had it in soupy mud spinning all 6 16.00's. I doubt I'll encounter a situation where the locker makes the go/no go difference. And the on road manners are a pretty big downside.

We've had two Jeeps with electronic selectable lockers. I've engaged the lockers exactly once, and this was when deliberately seeking out such a situation as a teaching moment for my GF.

If I were to add a locker to a HMMWV, it would be selectable. But BTM is more than sufficient.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have videos of Hummer H1 two and three wheel driving with his A0 and 7k axles.

Lockers! He don’t need no stinken’ lockers!

Last edited:
Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks