• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Differential Output Seals/Bearings?

79f250guy

All four of my differential output seals are leaking and I need to replace them. There seems to be play in the output shaft also when I wiggle the CV shafts so I assume that the bearing are also bad. My question is has anyone replaced these bearings and can they be replaced with out removing the output shaft and opening up the dif. From the parts TM it looks like they can but wanted to see if anyone had some input that has replaced them before.

Thank you

79f250guy

How would you get a circular bearing installed without removing the output shaft that slides through it?
Very true lol not really sure where my logic was there. Do you know what holds the shaft in? I see that it's splined into the carrier guess I'll find out when I tear into it.

Action

With the rotor and axle out of the way, there is one bolt on the end. Take that off and the output shaft slides off. You will have to stop the gears from turning.

dilvoy

The Bearing is just pressed into the aluminum case. Once you take the brakes out of the way and remove the large nut that holds the output flange in place, you can get to the two bolts that hold the vertical support for the diff. Then you have to decide if you want to drop the diff or remove the vertical support and do the job in situ. Driving with worn cv joints on the half shafts will work on those bearings and eventually make the output shaft walk. Driving like a Hot Dog or without a front driveshaft will add to the wear of the rear case too.